The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to avoid the temptation of drinking 'young, green beer'.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Robms88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to avoid the temptation of drinking 'young, green beer'.

I have recently got back into the home-brewing and I agree with the guilt feeling. The only thing I can suggest to overcome this issue is to let the beer sit for as long as you can by brewing another batch. Bottles are pretty inexpensive these days; therefore, I have bought loads to get a back log of batches going. I can then happily drink green beer knowing that I have loads backed up. The idea is to brew so much that you cannot possibly drink it quick enough - just like the very rich who cannot spend their money quick enough. I test one bottle of each batch after about a week to two weeks to make sure that it is OK. By OK, I mean only 'young' and not infected.

I have about 240 pints sitting, conditioning. Home brewing does take a long time, but FORTUNATELY the yeast do most of the work.

If you are lucky, you might find someone who can let you taste a beer that has conditioned for a long time (at its prime depending on the beer). It will MAKE you wait for yours to improve, and I can guarantee that the person will encourage you to wait, too.

Let them taste your 'green beer' as I can assure you they will tell you there is nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that you gave them a bottle and it is now gone, whereas it should have been sitting for longer and consumed when it is nice.

I work out that I will drink about 2 bottles a day (568ml), so multiply that by 360 days = 720 beers. 720 divide 40 (usual kit) (568ml bottles) is 18 batches. I try to wait at least 3 months for it to be at its best, so you want to brew at least 4-5 batches to get a 3 month, rolling back log. I usually do more because I sometimes session drink and have others drinking it as well.

I hope this helps. I might repost this message as a new thread as well to help new home-brewers not get discouraged.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Doomsday
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Pretty in depth analysis for just exercising self controll

just get some brews conditioning while you drink less or buy some brews for a few weeks. Once you get a few conditioned enough to drink you are good to go, just keep brewing up new batches...

Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You're thinking too much

I have a hard time staying out of the green beer. I usually like to crack a test bottle after day 7. Which usually leads to a 2nd...

Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Robms88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True, purchasing from the store is one option. However, there is something about drinking your own beer that store-bought won't satisfy. I am providing a full-proof plan for conquering what I consider the main aspect of beer making for beginners.

The kit, yeast, fermenting temperature etc, although important, are not as important as the issue of drinking young beer when it comes to taste.

My mate said his cider tasted of eggs. I said, OK I will have it. I waited 3 months and gave him a brew. He said my cider was better than his. I said, "this is yours".

Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
HappyDrunk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopheadgrady View Post
you're thinking too much

I have a hard time staying out of the green beer. I usually like to crack a test bottle after day 7. Which usually leads to a 2nd...
+1

Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Josh14025
Recipes 

I tried a home brew after 2 weeks in the bottle, and wasn't impressed. Got an 18 pack of labatt blue and forgot about it, tried a home brew at week 3 and loved it. I'm now trying to start my own pipeline so I no longer have to go out and buy the LB to forget about my problems!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
boomtown25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I go and buy Sam Adams from the store to build up my bottling supply.

PRIMARY 4: EMPTY
BOTTLED: Caribou Slobber 6/9/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Bavarian Hefweizen 6/15/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Warrior IPA 6/23/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Dunkelweizen PM 6/30/11
BOTTLED: Amarillo IPA 7/26/11
ON DECK: APA or Centennial Blonde

signpost Likes This 
Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Schuey102000
Recipes 

I just cracked one tonight.....4 days in the bottle. It wasnt good, so I was kind of mad at myself for not being more patient.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
LMGK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Pipeline, invest in extra fermenters, set it and forget it! . Brew in batches. I usually brew multiple batches which wind up sitting in carboys until keg space becomes available. Then I got more kegs. Then more carboys. Then more etc.... Etc... Etc..., And usually I brew in cycles throughout the year just because I like to.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
LMGK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I also have a few friends who I help brew so that way I am not dipping into my supply on those days but it gets made up for on days they help me out so I guess it evens itself out.

Quick Reply