Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to add liquid extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
BrewinBotanist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to add liquid extract

Hey

Sorry for the total newb question, but I cant find it anywhere on here, either no one has asked this question here before, or I cant find the right keywords to put in search.

My question relates to adding the liquid extract. The guy at my LHBS told me to add half of it in the beginning, and half of it with the 15min hops. I should have asked him WHY I dont just put it all in at once, but I didnt and now i'm wondering. A friend said it's so it wont 'taste like extract', but I dont know what that means.

I've recently received a couple kits from austin homebrew, and the instructions dont include splitting up the extract additions. I'm trying to decide if I should just put it all in at once, or split it into two.

Does anyone know what i'm talking about? how do you add your liquid extract, all at once or split into two?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I add all my extract at the 15 minute until Flameout mark. Supposedly, adding it later will keep the color lighter since the extract sugars won't caramelize during the boil. It also helps prevent boilovers, which is a plus.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

I have always done my extracts for the full 60 mins, which is what the instructions from MoreBeer say. Once you reach a boil, turn the flame out and stir in the extract so you do not burn it. Then turn the flame back on and boil for 60. That works for me.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
vinoterp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceL View Post
I have always done my extracts for the full 60 mins, which is what the instructions from MoreBeer say. Once you reach a boil, turn the flame out and stir in the extract so you do not burn it. Then turn the flame back on and boil for 60. That works for me.
I second this.. at least that's what I do following the directions

Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
cervezarara
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Many new homebrewers do not have a brew kettle large enough to do a full boil, and therefore they do what is called a "partial boil," after which they add top off water to get five gallons, or whatever the desired volume of wort will be. If all the LME is added at the beginning of the boil, the 2.5 or 3 gallons of wort is very concentrated in the boil. There is a lot of discussion on these boards about the ability of the hops to fully isomerize in such a highly concentrated wort. Also, there are reactions that darken LME during the boil, which can be reduced if LME is boiled for a shorter duration.

Wort is only boiled for 60 or 90 minutes (even longer for all grain brewers with a big beer) in order to isomerize hops and evaporate water to hit the target OG. Extracts do not need to boil that long. They really only need a few minutes of boiling to have a hot break and sterilize the extract.

Therefore "late extract addition" is a technique many brewers use to get better hop utilization and keep beer as light as possible.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Extract is wort. It's already been through a full boil. And in the case of hopped extract, it's already been through the hops schedule. You can boil extract, it's not wrong, but I always do the late extract addition. It keeps your SRM lighter, and really all you need to do to extract, liquid or dry, is pasteurize it.... keep it above 180F for 10 minutes (IIRC). I use 20 - 25% extract with steeping grains (if any) for full boil with hops schedule, then the remaining extract at flameout. My beers have increased in quality tremendously as a result.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
BrewinBotanist
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervezarara View Post
Many new homebrewers do not have a brew kettle large enough to do a full boil, and therefore they do what is called a "partial boil," after which they add top off water to get five gallons, or whatever the desired volume of wort will be. If all the LME is added at the beginning of the boil, the 2.5 or 3 gallons of wort is very concentrated in the boil. There is a lot of discussion on these boards about the ability of the hops to fully isomerize in such a highly concentrated wort. Also, there are reactions that darken LME during the boil, which can be reduced if LME is boiled for a shorter duration.

Wort is only boiled for 60 or 90 minutes (even longer for all grain brewers with a big beer) in order to isomerize hops and evaporate water to hit the target OG. Extracts do not need to boil that long. They really only need a few minutes of boiling to have a hot break and sterilize the extract.

Therefore "late extract addition" is a technique many brewers use to get better hop utilization and keep beer as light as possible.
Excellent, thank you so much for this answer, it's nice to be given a reason for this.

This makes me wonder about the 15 and 5 minutes hop additions though, are they perhaps being less utilized because i'm dumping in half my LME at 15min? Guess i've got more searching and experimenting to do.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
viking73
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

The longer you boil your hops the more bitterness you extract from them, and less aroma. So to get more aroma in the beer you use a late hop addition.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

I add all of my dry or liquid malts at the end. Last time,I made a 15 min hop tea with 1oz of Kent Golding. Took it off the heat,mixed it all up & let it steep for 15 min or so while I sanitized the FV,etc. Then dry hopped after FG was reached.
It looked & tasted a lot like Salvator doppel bock when I bottled it 2 weeks ago. But clearer.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I do full boils and I've noticed a vast improvement in my beers since also incorporating late extract additions. By reducing the caramelization of the extract, my beers now taste like beer, and no longer taste "extracty."

Become a fan of CDA on Facebook.

Quick Reply