Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hot Temperatures and the Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
TexasSpartan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Hot Temperatures and the Secondary

How much can temperature affect the beer when it is in the secondary? Since I live in Texas and summer started two months ago, it gets kind of hot in my house during the day. The wife won't let me keep the A/C set at 65, so you can see my problem.

I've done the putting the fermenter in water with a t-shirt on it trick on my last batch. But that was a wheat ale that is going straight from 3 weeks in the primary to bottling today.

Do I need to keep the secondary in the swamp cooler as well? Or since fermentation is done, can I just leave it out?

Thanks

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Nanobru
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I would still at least keep in a cool and dark basement or closet. Even in the secondary the yeasties are still performing.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Boiling...Otherwise you're fine...Temp control is actually only crucial in the first few hours of fermentation, that's when off flavors can be caused by too high a temp affecting the yeasties...after that, especially after the first couple days, it really doesn't matter...You don't want it too hot, but you don't need to sweat the temp at that point (or while in the bottle) either.

And if you waited til fermentation was completed before racking it won't matter in the secondary one bit. Secondary is for clearing the beer, so no fermentation should be happening there that the temps would casue any problems.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Boiling...Otherwise you're fine...Temp control is actually only crucial in the first few hours of fermentation, that's when off flavors can be caused by too high a temp affecting the yeasties...after that, especially after the first couple days, it really doesn't matter...You don't want it too hot, but you don't need to sweat the temp at that point (or while in the bottle) either.

And if you waited til fermentation was completed before racking it won't matter in the secondary one bit. Secondary is for clearing the beer, so no fermentation should be happening there that the temps would casue any problems.
+1.

Even if you're 90% of the way through, fermenting the last 10% hot won't likely cause problems at all.

In the interest of full discolsure I would add that storing beer at warm temps can accelerate a variety of reactions - good or bad. For example, if you expose the secondary to a bunch of oxygen and then leave it for a month at 80F, it will display oxidation very quickly - much faster than it would at say 50F. So try to limit the time it's kept warm if you can.

That's a relatively minor concern in the grand scheme though.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 06-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I temp control for the first week, after that I move them to another room to make room for another new brew. They've reached 75-78 without any noticeable bad effects, it's the first week (and probably the first 3-4 days) that really matter.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Um. . . the above advice comes from far more knowledgeable brewers than myself, but I'm pretty sure that the style of beer you're brewing, and the yeast you're using, will be of importance. . . are you brewing a lager, for instance, or a bock?

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

How cold can an ale seconday be? Is 55 (below the range of most ale yeasts) too low?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

The lower the temperature, the slower the action of the yeast. In MY experience, lower temperatures for ale yeast won't produce dramatic off flavors, but at that temperature you should expect to secondary at least a week longer than you ordinarily would.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 06-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanobru View Post
I would still at least keep in a cool and dark basement or closet. Even in the secondary the yeasties are still performing.
Texas doesnt have basements

I use the swamp cooler and replace out 4 frozen water bottles before work and after, stays around 63 degrees in it.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggie View Post
How cold can an ale seconday be? Is 55 (below the range of most ale yeasts) too low?
I think that's a great question with plenty of answers. From what I've seen people tend to secondary in slightly different ways. Here's my guess:

If you're transfering to 2ndary after fermentation is totally complete and your goal is simply to have the beer drop clearer, than this is fine.

However, if you're expecting results that require active yeast, like a diacetyl rest or if your still a few points off your gravity, than this probably is too low.

I don't 2ndary at all, except for dry-hopping, and for that I want it warm so that there is some activity from the yeast to clean up O2 i introduced with hops. I've never done a fruit beer, but same deal I would think.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Quick Reply