New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hot priming sugar solution, how is that ok for yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hot priming sugar solution, how is that ok for yeast?

The way/directions I have been brewing my beers includes boiling a cup of water with 3/4 cup of corn sugar for carbonation. This is at the bottling phase. The directions I have read say to boil together for about 10 minutes and then add this hot solution to the bottling bucket before adding the beer.

At this point is it ok to introduce this very hot boiling solution to the beer? I am concerned about the yeast because of the whole initial boil when you have to cool your wort before adding the yeast because hot temperature will kill yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i just pour the priming sugar in hot and syphon my beer on top of it...I use it with a small amount of water and microwave it to boiling for a minute or two until it goes clear and then i let it swirl to mix and i have yet to have a problem...its a very small amount of hot liquid to cold/room temperature beer...your fine although im sure some yeast commited suicide during the process

Old 12-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The second you dump the boiling priming solution into the bucket, it will drop at least 10 - 15 deg. And, by the time you add a gallon of 65 deg wort to the solution, it will be close to 70 - 75 deg. At that point, even if it killed all the yeast up to that point, you would still have 4 gallons (assum 5 gal batch) of wort with live yeast to add.

BTW - I made up the math, but you get the point.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yep, 1 cup of 212F water has a negligible effect on 5 gallons of 68F degree beer.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Byrdbrewer
Recipes 

what if you used more water, say 2-3 cups of water with your priming sugar and poured that in hot, could you kill your batch of beer? - the reason I ask, is lets say your beer is 1/4 gal shy, and you wanted to compensate by just adding more water - I have had this thought a few times.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemmingway

Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

that first wave of yeast are like the landing at Normandy. but they clear the way for the second,third wave to plant the flag. its all good.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Byrdbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
that first wave of yeast are like the landing at Normandy. but they clear the way for the second,third wave to plant the flag. its all good.
That description is priceless lol.. thanks

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemmingway

Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
RedGlass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdbrewer View Post
what if you used more water, say 2-3 cups of water with your priming sugar and poured that in hot, could you kill your batch of beer? - the reason I ask, is lets say your beer is 1/4 gal shy, and you wanted to compensate by just adding more water - I have had this thought a few times.
The more water you add, the more impact the temperature change will have on the beer -- but 2 or 3 cups is still insignificant. As you start upping the volume, you run the risk of changing the character of your beer by diluting it though.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdbrewer View Post
(#cups x 0.0625 gallons x temp + current volume x current temp) / combined volume = new temperature

if the added hot priming solution was still near boiling temperatures, at 1/4 gallon ud potential kill the yeast in the 1st gallon or so mixed in.

After being patient up to this point, I usually just opt to throw the priming solution in the fridge or freezer for a few to play it safe.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5747 Times on 5108 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
to the memorable quotes thread!!!!

Quick Reply