Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hot or cold water for boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
petrolSpice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Default Hot or cold water for boil?

When filling up the kettle with water for the boil, do you guys fill it with cold or hot water? The only difference between the two is that the hot water has been through the house water heater while the cold water has not. Does that cause a difference in taste or add minerals or anything like that? I don't notice that my hot water tastes any different than the cold water, but I heard that hot water can pick up weird tastes and minerals.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
thisisbeer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I never asked the question. But when I was doing extract batches I used cold water. Just for that reason. It didn't go through the water heater. I can't say if it made a difference or not. But that's what I did.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolSpice View Post
When filling up the kettle with water for the boil, do you guys fill it with cold or hot water? The only difference between the two is that the hot water has been through the house water heater while the cold water has not. Does that cause a difference in taste or add minerals or anything like that? I don't notice that my hot water tastes any different than the cold water, but I heard that hot water can pick up weird tastes and minerals.
Fill up a drinking glass with hot water and another drinking glass with cold water. Let them cool to room temp and do a taste test, that should answer your question. That all being said, a lot of us use a carbon water filter connected to a RV garden hose(white and lead free) hooked up to the house spigot

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 04-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
y2jrock60
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always use cold water. A few winters ago, while brewing at a friends house, we began using hot water since we brewed in his cold garage. It definitely resulted in quicker boil times, but I could taste something off in those beers. We talked to the owner of our LHBS and he mentioned that hot water heaters often contain high deposits of minerals, especially older hot water heaters. We stopped using hot water and the off flavors disappeared. He recommended that a small portable tankless water heater would be the best option. I haven't bought one yet, don't know if I will, I just wait the extra 15 minutes and use cold water. If your water heater is new it may not pick up many minerals, but something about hot water sitting in the tank, possibly for a few hours to a day, can't be good.

If I were you I would just use cold water, you won't have to worry then.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Hot or cold water for boil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolSpice View Post

I use hot water from a hose bib coming off the main line from my water heater. I also use beverage grade hose and a carbon filter designed for hot water. All in all I usually start my HLT @ 120F. Only takes me 15 minutes to get 6+ gal to mash in temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner1 View Post
I use hot water from a hose bib coming off the main line from my water heater. I also use beverage grade hose and a carbon filter designed for hot water. All in all I usually start my HLT @ 120F. Only takes me 15 minutes to get 6+ gal to mash in temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
With this method, you're filtering some of the impurities picked up from the accumulation in the hot water heater.

If you aren't filtering, use cold water. Treat with Campden if your supplier uses chloramine.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 209

For what it's worth, the last few batches I did this winter used hot water for the mash, comes out tap at 130, heat to strike temp and go from there.

All batches have been packaged and they are all beers I've brewed before, cannot tell any difference from those that used cold water

Sent from the Commune

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
craitchky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Hot water from the tap tends to leach what mineral deposits have formed inside the pipes themselves, not to mention the deposits in the hot water heater. I would definately not use hot tap water if you house has an old iron pipe system.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 AM   #9
Mikenik
Recipes 

My suggestion should be use cold water. It taste the coffee good.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
The10mmKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 149

For Extract: Room temperature RO
For AG: 1/2 Room temp RO, 1/2 Chilled water from the fridge (PureSource filtered).

'da Kid

Quick Reply