Horrid odor from Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fococlimber

Reaction score
I just started fermenting a batch of a Trippel like beer, went smooth until i just checked it a few minutes ago, this is only my 3rd batch, It smells like a skunk ate a rhino and the rhino farted in the skunk and then killed the skunk releasing a death like odor, is this normal? Rhino Fart? bubbling a lot.. please help!

:tank::mug:

Think of it this way... that's more sulphur that will not end up in the beer... I had the same situation with a bock, but the bock was beautiful, no matter what rhino farts smell like ;)

RDWGHAHB.

Welcome to HBT!

Normal for some yeast. Rhino farts are a common topic around here. Hang around and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about farts.

I just started fermenting a batch of a Trippel like beer, went smooth until i just checked it a few minutes ago, this is only my 3rd batch, It smells like a skunk ate a rhino and the rhino farted in the skunk and then killed the skunk releasing a death like odor, is this normal? Rhino Fart? bubbling a lot.. please help!

:tank::mug:

Sounds right:rockin:

If you go to the White Labs site, it gives a description of all their yeasts, including whether it gives off sulfur odors. And the sulfur will dissipate, but you need to be patient.

And when the rhino goes to bed and starts to smell really sweet, then you know you have an awesome beer in the making!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the rhino has started to doze off, and is smelling like delicious hops now! thanks all! thought i had really f'd something up!

I hate to be negative, but fermentation usually doesn't smell that bad. Stressed yeast causes some stinky odors, though. I wonder if it could be because of temperature? If the fermentation is over about 70 degrees, maybe that could cause some extra stinkiness. If it's fermenting hard, it could be really hot inside the fermenter. If you can keep it cooler, like under about 68 degrees, the smell might go away.

yeah im sitting at about 70, cant help it though, killing my air conditioner.. one bummer about brewing in the summer i guess, after you add the yeast to the wort you are supposed to shake it up right? i used Wyeast activator pack, let it sit for 3 hours and puff up before i added it. i think its because the temp though, thanks for all the help this forum is great!

Do a search on swamp coolers used for getting your temperatures down. Seventy degrees isn't the worst but you could knock off a few degrees by getting that primary in a bucket with water.

My apfelwein has definitely smelled that bad, never had a beer yeast do that, but I've only used 4-5 different kinds in my short hobby.

DSCN0495.jpg

24 hours, foaming up a bit now, normal?

Do a search on swamp coolers used for getting your temperatures down. Seventy degrees isn't the worst but you could knock off a few degrees by getting that primary in a bucket with water.

Best thing ever for fermenting in a warm house. Without mine, I would be fermenting in the mid 70's, now that I'm using one it stays right around 64. Ahhhh.

wow i was drunk as hell, that picture looks like sh*t, where can i go buy a swamp cooler? lowes? home store?

Make one. Get a bin, or a tray, or a cooler. Put the fermenter in it. Add a little (or a lot) of water to the bottom. Cover with a t-shirt, so that the shirt will "wick" up the water. Blow a fan on the whole contraption.

Mine is much fancier, though! It's an Igloo Ice Cube cooler. I made a new lid out of foam, so the airlock pokes out (the original lid is hollow, and I kept it so I can use the cooler as a, well, cooler, occasionally). I put water in it around the carboy, and then add a frozen water bottle (or two) to keep the temperature right where I want it.

4189-DSCF0002.JPG

genius! foam at home depot or something along those lines? I have a 6gal carboy will it fit?

That happens to be a 5 gallon carboy, for my lagers in the winter. I also use an aquarium heater in the same set up in the winter (no lid), to ferment ales in this cold climate.

But.......no reason you can cut the foam to fit whatever size you want. I used a dremel to cut three layers of foam (or maybe it was four) so it might be a little bit overkill.

Even the cooler without a lid will work better than none at all, of course!

Wow Yoop...that's a badass swamp cooler. Most of the time I use a large rubbermaid container, fill it half way with cold water and sit my bucket in it. I'll add bottles of ice to maintain the temp. Never had to use a wet t-shirt or lid. Might have to look into making one of these for lagering. I keep mine in the bathtub of my spare bathroom with the lights off, so far so good. I've adjusted the temp to keep the external ambient temp between 64-66F. But I'm seriously going to look into making a cooler like yours. Me likey.

Back