Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > which hops are suitable for english bitter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
snailsongs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default which hops are suitable for english bitter?

I want to clean up the dregs of my grain/malt cooler, and have the ingredients to make a batch of bitter (english pale)....I really like the grassy, earthy type hoppage in a bitter (ever had Summit ESB?...mmmm), so help me out, what will give me that type of aroma-hoppage from this list?

In my freezer:
Fuggle - I know this is an english style hop, but what about.....
Perle
Liberty
Saaz
williamette

or should I go all-fuggle?

what say you, my hop-knowledgeable comrads?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

English hops, all the way: Challenger, Fuggles, EKG (or US Golding), Willamette.

An all-Fuggle bitter would be rather tasty, but I'm undeniably biased toward the English styles.

Jason

Old 02-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe all fuggle would be a good way to burn the flavor characteristics on Fuggle into my head, so I can have a baseline for other english hop flavors....

I just looked at the summit site, and they list Fuggle (likely for bittering) and Northdown as a dry-hop, so maybe I should get some for a little dry-hop.....

Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Fuggle would be ideal for you if you like earthy. The other most commonly used in bitter is EKG, which has a more floral aroma.

I just made a bitter yesterday with fuggle @ 60 and EKG @ 30. I had on hand an old package of Mt Hood that I threw in at the end. That hop is not typical for the style, but I used it in my first ever batch because it was all I could get at my LHBS. It turned out very well, so I had no qualms about adding it again. The wort going into the fermenter tastes promising, it has a lillte bit of spicey bite from the Mt Hood. Like I mentioned though, not really in style, but what the hell.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

From the hops you have, I'd go with Fuggles. You could also go with some Willamette for aroma as they're supposedly derived from Fuggles - it wouldn't be strictly English as AFAIK few (if any) brewers over here use them, but I think that'd be a lame reason not to throw them in if you wanted to.

From my own palate, I think Challenger is hard to beat in English ales, though someone on here was talking about Brambling Cross hops recently, and they sounded pretty good too.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've used Target for bittering English-style beers, but I tend to stick to Fuggles and EKG in general.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 02-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love the fact that there are so many hops styles. I also hate that fact. Know what I mean?

Right now I have over 3 1/2 lbs of hops in a very full freezer that is going to start pissing the wife off soon. I read this thread and I'm like hmmm I haven't done a nice Irish or English in a while I should do one. Well now I need to pick up some Challenger, maybe some Target.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4960 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I love the fact that there are so many hops styles. I also hate that fact. Know what I mean?

Right now I have over 3 1/2 lbs of hops in a very full freezer that is going to start pissing the wife off soon. I read this thread and I'm like hmmm I haven't done a nice Irish or English in a while I should do one. Well now I need to pick up some Challenger, maybe some Target.
Same here. I have nearly 8 pounds of mixed variety and I always end up making a beer out of the 1 friggin hop I don't have.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have done a few "bitters" with Willamette and they have turned out excellent. I have started using willamette for a lot of my beers.

I love willamette hops.

I love them a lot.

Willamette are awesome

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Mattyp11 Likes This 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Ooops! I was so fired up about getting to brew yesterday that I forgot to mention something relevant... Wednesday I bottled two SMaSH batches. Grain was MO, hops were all EKG in one batch, Fuggles in the other.

Tasting flat and green on bottling I get the impression that I will be liking the EKG one more. Although I like Fuggles, I think that it is going to turn out too much of one strong characteristic. (remember though, these are still green) The EKG tasted much more balanced, and the floral aroma was backed up by a light bitterness, so the floral was not all alone as the earthy fuggles taste was.

Based on how they tasted at this stage I'm guessing that in the future I would probably brew a mix of the two, or all EKG. I think it is probably unlikely that I would do all fuggles again. Of course, I might change my mind when they are aged properly!!

Quick Reply