Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > hops stocking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
ColoradoHomebrew
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default hops stocking

I am on my 5th batch as a noob and have discovered that using a recepie and starting to buy in bulk is a great money saver compared to buying kits(in addition to yeast harvesting which I will try on this batch). As a new brewer I am learing more each day about style and which hops to use but it will take time. I have been slowly purchasing hops in 1/2 pound increments and have Traditional and Hallertau on hand. My preference is German beers and I am going to experiment with Belgians and Pales a little now. Any recommendation on some flexable use hops for these styles to have on hand? I will probably order 2-3 8 oz varieties this week.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

I don't mind Hallertau in my Belgians if I've got some around, but if you're looking to buy more anyways I'd say Saaz is probably the hop I use the most in my Belgians. For the pales, it depends if you are talking english or american pales. For English, something like EKG should get used quite a bit. American could use any number of american hops (centennial, cascade, amarillo, citra, etc.).

Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've become a big fan of Amarillo and Chinooks in my IPA's... and Fuggles and East Kent Goldings in the stouts. The Amarillo is hard to find at the moment, so I've been subbing Falconers Flight.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Didn't even think of Falconer's Flight. Its a blend so I'm not sure how long its gonna be around, but I'm currently on a keg of all-Falconer Flight IPA and its quite tasty. Its fairly high AA (10.56% my batch), but works real well as a bittering, aroma, flavor, and dry hop.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i always have east kent goldings, hallertau or hersbrucker (for hefeweizens), cascade, and willamette (a strain of fuggle) around, as well as very high alpha hops ( i like apa's and ipa's ).

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Quick Reply