Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hops floating to top of krausen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
HappyWarrior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hops floating to top of krausen?

Did an extract brew yesterday and woke up today to find fermentation had started, but there is a big green layer on top of the krausen that happens to be the boiling and finishing hops.

Is it normal for them to hang around on top of the krausen, or should I be shaking the carboy to recirculate them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 32

It sounds like you transferred the trub from your kettle to the fermenter. No worries. The hops won't add anything to your beer right now anyway, so no need to recirculate them. Just let the yeast do their magic.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
mrgrimm101
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by edroberts View Post
It sounds like you transferred the trub from your kettle to the fermenter. No worries. The hops won't add anything to your beer right now anyway, so no need to recirculate them. Just let the yeast do their magic.
+1. The hop oils and resins have already been extracted/converted. What you are seeing is just the leftover hop break material.

"Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't." - Walter Thornburgh
-----------------------------------------------
Add me on Untappd. Username: Goreface

Old 01-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
fimpster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 42

After the krausen falls, let the beer sit a couple of weeks and all that hop material will slowly settle on the bottom of your fermenter along with the yeast.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
worlddivides
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I always boil my hops in mesh bags so that very little of the sediment gets into the wort, then I make sure not to let the sediment get into my fermenter, so I've never had that experience before. But I do know that a lot of brewers just throw the hops directly into the boil and some also put the hop sediment into the fermenter.

Should be fine, though.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Salty-Dawg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As stated earlier....no worries just let it do it's thing. It will all drop out in time.

Relax bro....you are making beer !

cheers

Quick Reply