Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hops in fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
eightbt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops in fermenter?

Silly question, but how carefully do you filter out all the hops when pouring the wort from the brew pot into the primary? Do you stop pouring when all that's left in the pot is the hoppy-trubby mess? Or do you pass it all through a sieve and hope everything gets filtered out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For my first half dozen batches I put my hops in a mesh bag. The bags stretchy cotton grain bags seem to keep 90+% of them in the bag and I just throw it in the compost bin when done. If you do use a bag make sure you leave lots of extra room. The hops will swell considerably when wet and you still want plenty of room for the wort to circulate around to extract all the goodness.

Now, I don't use a hops bag and I do not filter or strain when using pellet hops. I seem to get better extraction when the little bits are floating free during the boil. Then I just pour it all into the fermentor. The hops settle out very well and are trapped in the trub at the bottom of the fermentor. I also rack to a secondary to batch prime for bottling. I let the beer sit in the secondary for 20-30 minutes before bottling to let any stray bits settle out.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Soon as you flame out stir it up until you get a fast moving whirlpool. As your are chilling and the whirlpool is settling all of the sediment goes to a little cone in the center. It takes a bit of time for it to settle right, and you gotta be careful not to disturb it. At that point if you have a ball valve just open it up and drain. If not don't tip the kettle, get an auto siphon and siphon it from the edge of the pot away from the junk in the center.

You should be able to avoid most of the gunk this way. The rest will settle out in primary.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just pour everything in the fermenter. When you rack to secondary or bottles keep the siphon an inch or two above the trub and you shouldn't pick up too much of anything. If you want to go even finer than that you could go so far as putting some kind of mesh filter (nylon brewing bag or muslin bag) over your siphon tube.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Vic_Sinclair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugMug View Post
I just pour everything in the fermenter. When you rack to secondary or bottles keep the siphon an inch or two above the trub and you shouldn't pick up too much of anything. If you want to go even finer than that you could go so far as putting some kind of mesh filter (nylon brewing bag or muslin bag) over your siphon tube.
+1 on this. I just rubberband a hops bag over the intake of my autosiphon, sanitize and rack.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4915 Times on 3564 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugMug View Post
That's what I do too. I just pour everything in, unless I'm using a ton of leaf hops that are easily strained out.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For a different take - I siphon into my carboys using a 1/2" racking cane. The hops form a filter bed and that keeps most of the hop material and some of the cold break out. Of course a bunch of stuff still gets in though, but very few hops. This will NOT work for pellets!

If the flow slows down I lift the end of the hose until it back flows about 2 feet, then I put it down again, and it's pumping fast.

The extra benefit I get is that I use a funnel into my carboy, so by directing the wort around the funnel it aerates it pretty well on the way in.

I find this is the easiest way into a carboy. Pretty clean too.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I like to just pour through a kitchen strainer. It lets some small stuff though, a bit of break material and filters out a portion of it without my having to be too careful or work too hard.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 07-24-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5369 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I like to just pour through a kitchen strainer. It lets some small stuff though, a bit of break material and filters out a portion of it without my having to be too careful or work too hard.
That's what I do as well. I have a big plastic strainer with handles that fit perfectly inside the bucket opening. Seems like it does a good job at aerating the wort plus keeps most of the big particles out.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 41

On my current batch I have about 4.75 oz of pellet hops in the fermenter since I accidentally racked the trub into the carboy. Its actually fun watching the hops take the ride up to the top with the yeast and then fall back down. Looks like a freshly shaken christmas globe.

I usually keep my beer in primary and then cold crash it before I keg it, and it turns out perfectly clear. Or i'll take 2 or 3 layers of sanitized cheese cloth, let it hang pretty far down into the carboy and rubber band it to the outside of the carboy and then rack from the boil kettle into the carboy through the cloth and I get perfectly clear beer.

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. — Thomas Jefferson

On Deck: Summer Hefeweizen - own recipe
Primary #1: Hoppy American Amber
Primary #2:
on tap #1: Edwort's Apfelwein (aged 1 year)
on tap #2: none

Quick Reply