New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Which hops to boil first?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #21
Thunder_Chicken
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Hinterland of the South Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,101
Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

If you put the fermenter in the fridge and just unplug the fridge and keep it out of the sun, the fridge should act as good insulation and minimize the temperature swings. The average of your day and night temps is not too bad for brewing. It takes a lot to heat and cool 5 gallons of beer. If you chill it properly when you pitch I'd say you're good with the above plan. You just need good temps for the first 3-4 days or so. If it gets warmer afterwards that's fine.



__________________
Thunder_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #22
Hamaki
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jackson, Sierra Nevada foothills, CA
Posts: 173
Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Have an unheated basement or garage? Fermenting somewhere with an average temp lower than the house might work. I'd wrap plenty of insulation around the bucket or carboy to help minimize temperature fluctuations and keep out light.



__________________
Hamaki is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 04:47 AM   #23
CodyClay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I'm going to LHBS tomorrow. Is there a different yeast I could use that would work at about 70 - 75? It would be much easier.

__________________
CodyClay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #24
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigFloyd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 4,489
Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyClay View Post
I'm going to LHBS tomorrow. Is there a different yeast I could use that would work at about 70 - 75? It would be much easier.
If you care about flavor, 70-75*F room temp is way too warm to ferment anything but a saison . That's simply a fact of brew life. You're going to have to take steps to cool it down so that your beer temp stays in the mid 60's even if you switch yeast to S-04.

During active fermentation, it will generate its own heat. The temps inside the fermenter can be anywhere from 3*F to 10*F warmer than the air.
__________________
Good Temp Control -----> Happy Yeast ------> Tasty Brew
BigFloyd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #25
CodyClay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post

If you care about flavor, 70-75*F room temp is way too warm to ferment anything but a saison . That's simply a fact of brew life. You're going to have to take steps to cool it down so that your beer temp stays in the mid 60's even if you switch yeast to S-04.

During active fermentation, it will generate its own heat. The temps inside the fermenter can be anywhere from 3*F to 10*F warmer than the air.
OK so that's out of the question. I guess I will need to do as Thunder Chicken suggested and put it in the fridge and unplug it. I've already brewed it tonight and will be pitching yeast in the morning. I guess ill go ahead and put it in the fridge tonight. Thanks for the help everybody. I just put a beer into secondary today that had a bit of a sour smell. I'm now thinking this could be the problem.
__________________
CodyClay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #26
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigFloyd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 4,489
Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Why are you bothering with a secondary?

__________________
Good Temp Control -----> Happy Yeast ------> Tasty Brew
BigFloyd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #27
CodyClay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
Why are you bothering with a secondary?
Idk. Its all I've ever done. Why not?
__________________
CodyClay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
Thunder_Chicken
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Hinterland of the South Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,101
Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Default

The new thinking is that secondaries are not necessary, and it may actually be better to leave your beer on the yeast as the yeast will continue to clean up off flavors from the ferment. Racking to secondary is an exposure to potential infection that may not be necessary.

I secondary only when I absolutely must free up my primary, or if I am adding stuff or planning to lager it for a long time. Otherwise a nice long primary is all you need.

__________________
Thunder_Chicken is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
CodyClay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 85
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
The new thinking is that secondaries are not necessary, and it may actually be better to leave your beer on the yeast as the yeast will continue to clean up off flavors from the ferment. Racking to secondary is an exposure to potential infection that may not be necessary.

I secondary only when I absolutely must free up my primary, or if I am adding stuff or planning to lager it for a long time. Otherwise a nice long primary is all you need.
Duly Noted, but in the case of the possibly sour beer and the beer I just brewed, I will be flavoring in secondary. One with vanilla beans, and one with cocoa nibs.
__________________
CodyClay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #30
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigFloyd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 4,489
Liked 567 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyClay View Post
Duly Noted, but in the case of the possibly sour beer and the beer I just brewed, I will be flavoring in secondary. One with vanilla beans, and one with cocoa nibs.
You can either add those in the primary after fermentation has completed or you can soak them in a small amount of vodka a few days, remove the solid bits and then add the vodka to the bottling bucket.

IMO, the biggest negatives of racking over to a secondary when it's not called for (which would be most beers) are the increased risk of oxidation and the possibility of a stuck ferment if it's taken off the yeast too soon. It's kind of hard to rouse a yeast cake that's no longer there. Even if you don't create issues, it's unjustified effort. I like clear beer, so I cold crash the primary instead.


__________________
Good Temp Control -----> Happy Yeast ------> Tasty Brew
BigFloyd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
full 5 gal boil - recipe calls for 2.5 gal boil - hops ammounts? vthokie98 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 12-10-2012 08:40 PM
What adjustment should I make to hops for full boil vs. partial boil? DaveAllen Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 03-15-2010 02:46 AM
Full Boil vs. Partial boil Hops utilization Grinder12000 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 36 11-16-2008 01:50 PM
Hops and Boil Over AnOldUR General Techniques 15 07-29-2008 12:05 PM