Hops boil bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klay23

Reaction score
Anyone use the little nylon bags for your hops during the boil? I do. Wondering if they work as well, taste wise. Beer has no issues with crap in fermenters though... I also throw in the 2nd hops in the same bag, they all fluff up pretty nicely, :mug:

I think they are awesome....

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you asking if there is a difference between using a bag and not using a bag? If that is your answer then no there is no difference. If you don't use it you will have more trub but you will create the same beer.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you asking if there is a difference between using a bag and not using a bag? If that is your answer then no there is no difference. If you don't use it you will have more trub but you will create the same beer.

Exactly... You got it. Was wondering if there may be a difference

Nope not at all. If I have the bags, I like to use them. It like to keep as much of the hop and break material out of my buckets. It is all a personal preference though.

Using hop bags, not using hop bags but filtering after the boil and not using hop bags and not filter will all give you the same end result. You may loose a few ounces if you don't filter but that isn't a big deal

I've heard it said before that it will cause a decrease in hop utilization. I personally use a bag with every batch and my beers come out great, including many highly hopped beers. I have done a couple batches without a bag to experiment with whirlpooling or siphoning into a bag and using a bag DURING the boil is the best solution in my opinion, for my setup.

Back