Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hoppy Pale Ale Recipe Critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Don't Fail, Pale

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.055
Type: All Grain FG: 1.014
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.37 %
Calories: 180 IBU's: 40.42
Efficiency: 75 % Boil Size: 11.05 Gal
Color: 8.5 SRM Batch Size: 10.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.053 Boil Time: 70 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
16.00 lbs 75.47 % Briess 2-Row
Pale Ale Malt 60 mins 1.037

2.50 lbs 11.79 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035

2.00 lbs 9.43 % Munich Malt -
10L 60 mins 1.035
.70 lbs 3.30 % Wheat, Torrified 60 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 1.85 Cascade 5 mins 5.50

1.00 ozs 5.63 Cascade 20 mins 5.50

0.50 ozs 6.75 Citra 20 mins

0.50 ozs 2.22 Citra 5 mins 13.20

1.00 ozs 18.19 Chinook 35 mins 13.00

What do y'all think?
0.50 ozs 4.35 Amarillo Gold 20 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs 1.43 Amarillo Gold 5 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry for the confusing format. It won let me go back and edit it out

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Where do we start?

Looks like a little too much Crystal, but for 10 gallons may be OK.

5 ozs hops for 10 gallons seems low. With only 2 ozs in the last 15 minutes you are going to be low on flavor and aroma.

Unless there is really something you are trying to get from them move all hops that are between 60 and 15 minutes either back to 60 minutes or forward to 15 and under. You don't get much flavor after 15 minutes and you maximize bittering with 60 minutes.

This beer has virtually no hop aroma (no 0 minute or dry hops).

I don't use dry yeasts. Is 1 pack OK for 10 gallons?

What mash temp?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder
Where do we start?

5 ozs hops for 10 gallons seems low. With only 2 ozs in the last 15 minutes you are going to be low on flavor and aroma.

Unless there is really something you are trying to get from them move all hops that are between 60 and 15 minutes either back to 60 minutes or forward to 15 and under. You don't get much flavor after 15 minutes and you maximize bittering with 60 minutes.

What mash temp?
I was going to dry hop with an oz of simcoe and an oz of cascade as well. I was going to mash at 153.

~Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this. Any other opinions?

~Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I might suggest Citra over the Simcoe as a dryhop, unless you want more of the pine aroma. The Chinook might be strong enough in the taste department for the pine and the Citra would give more of the citrus nose. Just a thought, I could be completely off, but I would at least redo the times you have listed for additions as Calder said.

Future:Who Knows
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

DSorenson Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Where do we start?

What mash temp?
I agree with some of this and disagree with other. Here are my opinions.

Grain bill -- I agree that you are a bit heavy on the caramel malt. I tend to use between 8 and 12 ounces in my 5 gallon batches. I have not used 20L, though, so it may work out nicely. Also, what is the purpose of the wheat? That is a bit out of style for a pale ale.

Hops -- I agree that you should probably move the timing of the additions. I would focus on doing additions at: 60 minutes (bittering), 15 minutes (flavor), and 5 minutes or less (aroma). I disagree with the idea that you do not have enough hops generally. Gordon Strong (I'm pretty sure it was him) suggests that .25 ounces will be slight flavor/aroma, .5 ounces will be mid-range, and 1 ounce will be aggressive for a 5 gallon batch. You have either 1.5 or 2 ounces of aroma additions at the 5 minute mark and will have the same amount for 15 minute flavor additions. You are going to get aggressive flavor and aroma from these additions. I know that lots of brewers these days are looking for hop flavor and aroma that slaps you in the face. If you really want this to be crazy hoppy, then you should add more hops. But this will already have more hop flavor and aroma that a middle of the road APA (in my opinion). The suggestion that you will have "virtually no hop aroma" because your additions are at 5 minutes instead of 0 minutes is just wrong. I always do a 5 minute addition (and no 0 minute addition) and I get plenty of hop aroma.

I agree that you should probably use two yeast packets. The US-05 packets are perfect for 5 gallon batches. Spending an additional $3 for another yeast packet seems like a wise investment to make sure the yeast is not stressed from under-pitching.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklinck

I agree with some of this and disagree with other. Here are my opinions.

Grain bill -- I agree that you are a bit heavy on the caramel malt. I tend to use between 8 and 12 ounces in my 5 gallon batches. I have not used 20L, though, so it may work out nicely. Also, what is the purpose of the wheat? That is a bit out of style for a pale ale.

Hops -- I agree that you should probably move the timing of the additions. I would focus on doing additions at: 60 minutes (bittering), 15 minutes (flavor), and 5 minutes or less (aroma). I disagree with the idea that you do not have enough hops generally. Gordon Strong (I'm pretty sure it was him) suggests that .25 ounces will be slight flavor/aroma, .5 ounces will be mid-range, and 1 ounce will be aggressive for a 5 gallon batch. You have either 1.5 or 2 ounces of aroma additions at the 5 minute mark and will have the same amount for 15 minute flavor additions. You are going to get aggressive flavor and aroma from these additions. I know that lots of brewers these days are looking for hop flavor and aroma that slaps you in the face. If you really want this to be crazy hoppy, then you should add more hops. But this will already have more hop flavor and aroma that a middle of the road APA (in my opinion). The suggestion that you will have "virtually no hop aroma" because your additions are at 5 minutes instead of 0 minutes is just wrong. I always do a 5 minute addition (and no 0 minute addition) and I get plenty of hop aroma.

I agree that you should probably use two yeast packets. The US-05 packets are perfect for 5 gallon batches. Spending an additional $3 for another yeast packet seems like a wise investment to make sure the yeast is not stressed from under-pitching.
The wheat is just there for head retention. Yeah i'll throw 2 packs of US-05 in there. What do y'all think of chinook as a 60 minute addition? Is it harsh as a bittering hop?

~Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
hopmonster2189
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

I just started drinking an IPA I brewed with 8 oz of only chinook for 5 gal, and I love it. It's somewhat harsh but in an IPA that's what I'm looking for. Only 1 oz at 60 should be fine for 10 gal though, I used 3 oz for 5g.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmonster2189
I just started drinking an IPA I brewed with 8 oz of only chinook for 5 gal, and I love it. It's somewhat harsh but in an IPA that's what I'm looking for. Only 1 oz at 60 should be fine for 10 gal though, I used 3 oz for 5g.
Yeah I love ipa's but I'm brewing this for swmbo so I have to move cautiously.

~Ernest Hemingway

Quick Reply