Hopping Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here and have been lurking for a bit. The information is terrific.

I'm sure this might be on here somewhere but I couldn't find it; When you hop your beer during the boil and the bittering hops is 60 minutes, aroma is 15 minutes and flavor is 5 minutes (according to the recipe). Are all these times within the 60 minutes? For instance, would you add the bittering, wait 45 minutes, add the aroma, wait 10 minutes and add the flavoring hops for a total of 60 minutes or do you do 60 + 15 + 5?

Thanks!
Stuart

On a Standard brew you want a 60 min boil. So you will add your bittering at the start of a good hard boil. Then at 15 and 5 you can add your aroma. Set timer at 60 after first addition when the timer gets to 15 add your aroma then at 5 add your 2nd aroma.

General guideline I suppose:

hop_utilization.jpg

http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

I suspect the timing we use dates back to the old mechanical cooking timers. When the boil started, you cranked it to 60 minutes & it would count down to zero.

By the way, that graph is garbage. The bittering curve is completely wrong and the flavor curve is more or less bogus.

I thought the graph was helpful... side note are there better charts out there...

I think I like charts can I find any... anybody have any

Back