Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Was hoping to rack into secondary today :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Was hoping to rack into secondary today :(

I've had a healthy fermentation for about 3 days now and the airlock is down to about two bubbles per min. I decided to take a hydro reading and it shows 1.012 from 1.048, about 4.73% ABV. I wasn't sure if it was done fermenting because the kit instructions do not say what the FG should be. This is a Midwest Autumn Amber Ale recipe kit.

Midwest is awesome because they have a instant chat feature on their website. I chatted with a representative and he told me to wait an additional 4 or 5 days. The FG should be between 1.009-1.012 before racking into secondary. I guess I have to be patient, with my first brew it is very hard. I want the highest ABV as possible so the wait is probably worth it.

I took a sample taste and I thought....oh my, delicious! The aroma and taste is very good right now. I hope all stays the same, except the FG of course

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't rush to move to secondary. Once fermentation is over, the yeast are still working for several days cleaning up off flavors. You do not want to remove it from the cake too early.

If it is still bubbling, (you said 2 per minute), then it is not done fermenting yet.

Many people here do not use secondaries. Just leave it for 3 or 4 weeks in Primary and then straight to bottle.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Let it sit for 3 weeks so the yeast can clean up after them self. then bottle no need for secondary for an average ABV beer. once you bottle stick those in a nice 70 degree or so area and let them sit for 3 weeks then pop one in the fridge for at least 24 hours (longer is better) before drinking. your beer will thank you for it.

edit: I type to slow lol

Brew On!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
dgrums
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

My first brew was the Midwest Autumn Amber and it turned out really good. Mine got down to 1.010. Be patient. It's worth it

Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Unless you're dryhopping or something, I wouldn't bother with a secondary. Unless you're brewing an extremely high gravity beer which will need a month of fermenting at least (like say a Barley Wine) Just leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks. That should handle all your issues. Most of the fermenting is done in the first few days but the hard work of finishing the job takes some time. The green apple taste that often is found in a new beer is associated with the yeast not being done it's work yet. Give it 3 weeks if you are patient, at least 2 if you aren't (I'm impatient I've done just under 2 weeks but I took hyrometer readings and wasn't racking to secondary just looking for the yeast to stop working)

Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My kit came with a carboy, bottling bucket, and primary fermenter. I would like to make use of all my new equipment. I'll probably rack this time into secondary and let it sit for two weeks. After that I will determine whether to use a secondary or not. I trust all of you guys for sure, I just want to make use of the equipment. Perhaps I can use the carboy as a primary but it is only 5 gal.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

save the carboy to secondary that big belgian you want to brew. If you just have to secondary this one, then give it 2 weeks first, then 2 in secondary 3 weeks in bottle. Your beer will thank you for it

Brew On!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
cracked1
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started out with that same basic kit. I don't use the 5 gallon for secondary anymore. I'll use it if I do certain slightly smaller batches. I've also used it to create a giant starter for 10 gallons of lager. I've found, like most here, that the secondary is not necessary and can be a source of contamination.

But, if you're anything like me, I'd be willing to bet that you'll want to experiment with using secondary and not using secondary yourself. Just have patience during each stage. Maybe leave it alone for a few days longer than you want to...

I was going to change my signature but I ran out of clever.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I know secondary is considered old school for most beers, but why do homebrew stores still promote the secondary concept?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
heyblinkin
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Because its another piece of equipment you have to buy from them. Meaning more $ for them.

Quick Reply