I've had a healthy fermentation for about 3 days now and the airlock is down to about two bubbles per min. I decided to take a hydro reading and it shows 1.012 from 1.048, about 4.73% ABV. I wasn't sure if it was done fermenting because the kit instructions do not say what the FG should be. This is a Midwest Autumn Amber Ale recipe kit.
Midwest is awesome because they have a instant chat feature on their website. I chatted with a representative and he told me to wait an additional 4 or 5 days. The FG should be between 1.009-1.012 before racking into secondary. I guess I have to be patient, with my first brew it is very hard. I want the highest ABV as possible so the wait is probably worth it.
I took a sample taste and I thought....oh my, delicious! The aroma and taste is very good right now. I hope all stays the same, except the FG of course