Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hoping I got this right

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
dstranger99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Hoping I got this right

My 4th or 5th batch now, and I'm hoping I got this right, In the past I usually pitched the yeast while it was too hot, this time I may have did it too cold, among a few other things.

The Rundown:

1.Steeped grains @ exactly 155 degress as the instructions stated. Check
2. Brought to a boil with liquid extract, no boilover, no sticking to pan. Check
3.Cooled down wort with 6 frozen water bottles, just tossed in, forgot to sanitize.Damn!
4. Dropped in fish tank thermometer (sanitized) wort to hot, broke thermometer. Damn!
5.Added more cold water to sink with Ice & Salt. Check
6.Used Thermomenter from the boil (cooking thermometer) Wort now at 58 degress. Damn!
7 Panic. Check
8.Rehydrated yeast in 95 degree water for 10 minutes. looks good. Check
9.Added 3 more cold gallons of water to carboy, now at 50 degrees. Damn !
10. Hydrometer reading of 1.21? (right below the 15% notch), instructions on box said SG should be 1.043 ??.. Damn !
11. Panic. Check
12. Put on Carboy cap with airlock + tubing in water in case of Krausen overflow. Check
13. All Settled in cabinet hours later, temp @ 72 degress. Check
14. Added some frozed water bottles this morning, want temp between 68-70 for American Wheat beer. Check ??

So, please review. 8 checks, & 5 Damns!, and 1 Check??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Sounds like you rushed a little bit. Typically when you add top off water, some to most people probably do not get it stirred in really well, which could leave you with a lower OG. Everything else sounds like it will work out ok. Did you cool the yeast down to about what your wort was? If you had it hot and cold wort, you may have lost some cells from the shock. Don't be surprised for it to take a while to get fermenting. If you see fermentation taking off, then I wouldn't worry about it. Make mental notes of what you did and try to avoid them next time.

Future: Black IPA Redux, possibly others
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you say your thermometer broke. . . do you mean that there is mercury in your beer, or that your digital thermometer stopped working? Mercury is toxic both to yeast and to you.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pericles View Post
When you say your thermometer broke. . . do you mean that there is mercury in your beer, or that your digital thermometer stopped working? Mercury is toxic both to yeast and to you.
Mercury has not been used in thermometers in many years. The liquid currently used is just alcohol. If you were using an old thermometer that had a silver liquid and not red then yeah...mercury. I would personally dump it.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Are you dryhopping, adding anything additional or need to free up your primary? If not, I would leave it where it sits for another week at least, perhaps two if you just brewed this past weekend, and then you could be ready to bottle. Keeping it around 70 will be just fine

2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA, Starry Night Vanilla Bourbon Porter

Awards/Recognition

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
mikemet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the consesus will be that you are OK. I mean your not going to toss the batch down the drain I hope.

On another note- do others do this? Put a frozen water bottle in the wort to chill it? I mean the concept is there- I would be afraid of introducing something into the wort- even if its the most tiny microscopic whatever.

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Old 08-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not likely. If it was still around the boiling temp when you threw them in, it probably killed off anything too terrible. You should know soon though. Give it a taste when you transfer, though do know there is a greater risk for infection and aeration at this point. But you should be fine.

Awards/Recognition

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemet View Post
On another note- do others do this? Put a frozen water bottle in the wort to chill it? I mean the concept is there- I would be afraid of introducing something into the wort- even if its the most tiny microscopic whatever.
I'm going to say not likely. The top methods would be to add cooled water to top off to a 5 gallon batch, setting it in a tub with ice water around, or an immersion/counter flow chiller. Haven't heard throwing ice bottles in the wort.

Awards/Recognition

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemet View Post
I would be afraid of introducing something into the wort- even if its the most tiny microscopic whatever.
If you are not brewing in a sterile lab then all kinds of microscopic things make their way into the wort. There is wild yeast and other fungus, mold, bacteria and all kinds of critters in the air all around us.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I think I got the photo correct now, (in original post above). Used Image Shack this time.

Anyway, this is still doing good, temps have been at 65 on average...In the past I've pitched too hot, and fermented too warm, the ice cooler has fixed that issue. Gonna rack it to secondary this weekend, and let it sit at room temp (cabinet is 72 degrees) for 2 weeks, then add my raspberry flavoring, corn sugar, and let it set for 2 more weeks, or 3..........Will keep you updated.

I have a 2.5 gal Mr Beer American light I'll also need to bottle this weekend as well, 23 bottles maybe. I pitched that at around 70 degrees, and bucket fermented in the same cabinet, hope it didn't get too warm...(Also in the same photo, beside carboy)

Quick Reply