Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hopefully not my first embarrassing NewB question..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
webnmar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hopefully not my first embarrassing NewB question..

I don't want to get Revvy's "Step away from the Beer" response, but here it goes..

I am on day 12 of fermenting an American Gold Premium Mr. Beer recipe. I took my first Hydro test. OG was 1.050, now it is 1.009. sample was still quite cloudy and debris filled. Tasted great though, just a little sweet. I am basically sure that primary fermentation is done.But expect to leave it in the fermenter for another week before bottling.

Question: Should I move the fermenter into the refirgerator for the remainder of the time to help clear it up? My current location keeps it around 65deg. Would the cold condition it better, or just time left where it is at?

I am inetersted in everyone's opinion on this. Thanks. This is only my second brew, but my first is tasting great, even if it is a little green.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Since it's done fermenting, you could stick it in the fridge. That will help it clear up quite a bit. It should be pretty clear in 3-4 days in the fridge. Be careful when you take it out not to slosh it around too much, as to not resuspend all the trub on the bottom. Let is sit for a bit after you take it out, so it can resettle, and warm up to room temperature. Then you can bottle it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Or you could rack it to secondary. Or you could just let it sit for another few weeks to let the yeast clean up on their own.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
webnmar
Recipes 

Hmmmm,
two great answers, maybe I will continue to sit back and RDWHAHB, since my first is done and I can do that.

Maybe I will split the difference and .... taking a drink from my HB

.... and let it sit for 5 more days, then move it to the frig for 3-4 days, then bottle.

Gulp... Yup, another swig of HB, no worries.

Thanks for the quick response. I love this site.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Sounds like a plan! This is normally the point where I'd tell you to RDWHAHB, but it seems like you've got that well in hand. Matter of fact, I think I'm going to do exactly the same.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
webnmar
Recipes 

MMmmmmmm.... Home Brew is Good!!

And I made a decision, I am done for the night!

Quick Reply