Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hop Utilization vs. Gravity of the Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
cwlodyka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hop Utilization vs. Gravity of the Boil

I've read that hop utilization is decreased with the increase of the gravity of the boil. As I understand you can add half the extract for the boil and the other half at "knockout". Is this a preferred method?

If so, how is it done? You just add the other half of the extract after the boil (when the heat is turned off), stir till dissolved, and let sit? And what if you are using two different types of extract? Do you add half of each for the boil and the other halves after?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's a lot more complicated than that. Wort gravity itself has no direct impact on hop utilization, but precipitated solids (like hot break) can pull iso-alpha acids out of suspension, effectively reducing utilization.

Still, there's other good reasons for doing a late-extract addition, especially with lighter extract brews as it will avoid carmelization of the wort. Simply add the balance of your extract in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil (you want some boil to sterilize it).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply