Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Which Hop To Use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Which Hop To Use?

I recently acquired 2 small food grade buckets from my local grocer. They ought to handle 2 gals.

I am considering making an ale that is similar to a light BMC for those who prefer their beer in such a way. I plan to make it something like MoreBeer's American Light Ale. I'd try for 8-10 IBU's I suppose. Maybe 0.1 oz @ 60 mins with little DME in the boil (1/2 lb rice DME and 1/4 lb carapils).

I would also make a pale ale and would split 1 oz of hops between the two. The pale I'd make 40-45 IBU's as an introduction to hoppy beer to help along those who don't care so much for an IPA.

I'm not really looking for highly bitter, but a strong hop presence, and so I'm thinking 0.2 oz @ 60+ mins, 0.4 oz @ 15 mins, and 0.3 oz @ 5 mins.

MoreBeer offers Santiam (5-8%), Tettnanger (4-5%), and Vanguard (5-6%). Of those which should I use? I want plenty of flavor in the pale, but not so noticeable in the "mild ale." In this "mild ale" I'd want it something similar to Bud Light I guess...

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Look at using some of the Noble hops like Hallertau or Czech Saaz...

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
beerbeerbeer123 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

I'm considering much higher AA% hops and using minuscule amounts in this "mild."
How would it work if I were to use a hop such as Columbus with a mere 0.05-0.075 oz as a 45-60 min bittering only addition?

At 45 mins will it still leave some hop flavor? I'm trying to use the 1/4 lb of carapils with the 1 lb of rice DME for the boil, and adding the light DME at flameout to preserve the light color.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
rodwha
Recipes 

I was originally looking at "nobleish" hops... But I'm not sure if I care for a hopppy pale made with them as a large portion of the aromatic addition.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I used Hallertaus in a light "lawnmower beer" blonde ale I brewed last summer. 1 oz at the 60 min, and 1 ounce at the 2 min. Not bitter at all.

Edit: This is for a 5 gallon boil.

Gary

Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

How would an all Apollo or Bravo pale turn out? It states they are generally used only for bittering...

Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2022 Times on 1771 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

@ 45 minutes,their might be a little flavor left,but not a lot to me. For the BMC crowd,I def think Czech saaz or NZ motueka would be good with some German noble hops. The intro to hops one you could use a little American hos like columbus,cascade,or amarillo. But in reduced quantities.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

I figure a noble type hop would be ideal for this "mild ale", but I'm not so sure it would make a wonderful high IBU pale.

I've been using Liberty, Willamette, Perle, and Mt Hood mostly in my lower IBU beers, and they turn out quite well. I like it in wheats, blondes, and ambers.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The beuaty of homebrewing is you don't have to go by the rules. Just because a hop says "aroma" doesn't mean it can only be used later in the boil.

I make a hoppy Amber that uses 7 oz of Cascades. 1 oz additions at 60, 20, 10, 5, and 2 minutes. Then 2 oz for dry hop. Cascades are an "aroma" hop. But this beer turns out with nice hop flavor, and a nice bitterness as well.

Gary

Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
khugs21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bravo is nice, not overly harsh as a buttering hop. If your looking for a really clean bitterness I suggest magnum or maybe warrior. I have no experience with Apollo so can't help you with that.

Quick Reply