Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hop steeping and whirlfloc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Hop steeping and whirlfloc

I've read that you want to add the tablet with 5 mins left in boil, and not boil it for too long or it will be rendered useless. So that being said, if I were to add it with 5 mins left in the boil and then do a 30 min hop steep, would this be the same as boiling it too long or is letting it steep before cooling different? Should I add it towards the end of the steep? Anybody know, thanks.

Midwest supplies:
Adding a whole tablet won't really gain you anything), and add it with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Yes, 5 minutes is correct. According to the manufacturer, if Whirlfloc is in the boil for any longer than 10 minutes, the active ingredients become denatured and therefore will not do their job.

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 267

humph, I've been adding them at 15min. Guess I've been wasting them.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Bump to the top. Anybody have any input on this? I am doing my first all-grain this weekend and was planning on using Whirl-floc for the first time (haven't used it in my previous extract batches). However, in many of my recent extract batches, I have employed the hop-steeping technique, which I plan to use for this all-grain. So, do you think I should add the whirlfloc near the end of the steep instead of at 5 mins left in the boil?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I'm holding a bottle of whirlfloc in my hand produced by LD Carlson. On their factory label it states 'add 1 tablet per 5-10 gallons within the last 15 min of boil'.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Bronc View Post
Bump to the top. Anybody have any input on this? I am doing my first all-grain this weekend and was planning on using Whirl-floc for the first time (haven't used it in my previous extract batches). However, in many of my recent extract batches, I have employed the hop-steeping technique, which I plan to use for this all-grain. So, do you think I should add the whirlfloc near the end of the steep instead of at 5 mins left in the boil?
Ever since switching to all grain, a half tablet didn't seem to be enough. Not sure why. I tried 1 tablet at 10 mins and had a much better cold break. I also did a 20 minute hop stand and didn't seem to effect it at all.

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
I'm holding a bottle of whirlfloc in my hand produced by LD Carlson. On their factory label it states 'add 1 tablet per 5-10 gallons within the last 15 min of boil'.

Rick
Mine says that too, but I've heard and read plenty stating that this is wrong. Although, this last brew I used a whole tablet at 10 and had a much better cold break. When doing extract, I would add 1/2 at 5 mins and had excellent cold break. All grain has been yeilding different results though.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I assume this used to help clear up the beer? I used it today in two extract batches I did.

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Since the hot steep isn't "boiling" I would imagine that the extra time wouldn't apply.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I always have huge cold break adding it at 15 minutes

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used it for the first time today and I swear my 2 batches I did today both seem to be cloudier then the other ones were without it. Should it help more as the fermentation progresses?

Quick Reply