Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > hop question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
docmoran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default hop question

My AG yesterday went well - hit all temps and SGs - however after boil and rack into primary I sampled the SG sample and was shocked about a very sharp/bitter taste on the front side of the taste and then the sweetness/nuttiness of the brown ale late in the taste. Is this the hops or something gone wrong in process?? Can something in process be perceived already??? Am I hosed?? thanks, doc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let 'er go. You can't judge a finished beer by the cooled wort.

It'll be great! Let the yeasties do their job.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 7 Posts

That my friend is fresh unadulterated hop flavor and aroma. Most will be lost during fermentation though, and by the time you get around to cracking that first one open It will be so mellow and smooth.

By the way tasting everything is a good habit in brewing. It helps to refine the pallet and get an idea for how everything affects the final brew.

Taste everything, your ingredients, your mash, your sparge runnings, sweet wort, wort mid boil, chilled wort, at each hydrometer reading, bottling time, and a green brew just after carbing is done. Just little sips of of test amounts, you don't want to during it all before it is beer, but this will help you paint an image of what different ingredients and processes do to the beer.

Quick Reply