Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > hop pellet sludge in the primary - racking to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
BuckeyeOne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default hop pellet sludge in the primary - racking to secondary

I just brewed my fourth batch yesterday --- an IPA. I used hop pellets for the first time in the boil. As expected, a ton of hop pellet sludge made it into the primary despite the fact that I poured the wort through a strainer.

I'm not worried about off-flavors, as this issue seems to be settled based on what I've read so far in the forums. My question is about racking to the secondary. When using the racking cane to rack to the secondary carboy, should I plan to use a nylon bag over the end of the tube to prevent hop particles from making into the secondary? I'm racking to a secondary to dry hop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
chumpsteak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You could do that, but if the beer sat in the primary long enough (at least 2 weeks) then the hop sludge should be compacted with the yeast cake in the bottom of the bucket. Just siphon from the top down and leave a little beer in the bottom of the primary. Plus after the beer sits in the secondary for a week or two the yeast and sludge will settle out some more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply