The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hop Head Double IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
PA49erFan21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by troegaarden View Post
I actually work at Troegs! This is a midwest supply kit. Nugget Nectar is one of my favorite beers ever! So tasty!
For real? That is awesome!!! I live about 40 minutes from the brewery. I keep meaning to get there for the tour. I remember I was at the Bears hockey game back in March (I believe) and they had Nugget Nectar on tap! $8 though, but when you consider it was only 1 or 2 dollars more, it's not bad for a great beer at a sporting event.

Do you work in the brewery or another part? I'd love to get my feet in a brewery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
troegaarden
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA49erFan21

For real? That is awesome!!! I live about 40 minutes from the brewery. I keep meaning to get there for the tour. I remember I was at the Bears hockey game back in March (I believe) and they had Nugget Nectar on tap! $8 though, but when you consider it was only 1 or 2 dollars more, it's not bad for a great beer at a sporting event.

Do you work in the brewery or another part? I'd love to get my feet in a brewery.
Yep!!! I'm a college student so it's the perfect job for me as a new homebrewer! I work in the kitchen as a counter person for the new Snack Bar. However, I have done the brewery tour and I had one of the brewers show me the computer system for the BrauKon system that Troegs uses. Pretty cool stuff! Yeah the Giant Center overcharges, but you should check out the Tasting Room. Pints for approximately 5 bucks (depending on what you get) plus scratch beers! It's a great place to be!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'd love to try the MadElf Scratch. Honestly I haven't had any of the scratch beers. But Nugget Nectar is my favorite with JavaHead right behind. I know we are getting on another subject, I just love Troegs so much.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by troegaarden View Post
Thanks for the feedback everybody! That makes me feel a lot better about steeping grains! I bought a white labs vial of yeast and I have probably a pound and a half of extra pellet hops to choose from if I want an extra kick during dry hopping. My weizenbier turned out to be a pretty decent first beer, btw!
Be sure to make a good starter

Old 06-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
troegaarden
Recipes 

Mad Elf is awesome every year. A little bit too much alcohol warmth for my taste, but nonetheless a great holiday beer! Naked Elf (mad elf with the cherries and honey) is apparently really good. And thanks for the yeast starter advice!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
troegaarden
Recipes 

Ok, so I am going to brew this kit on Sunday! I was looking at the procedure list, and the hop adding schedule reaaaaally confused me. Can anyone tell me how long each stage is? Here is the boil schedule from the pdf of recipe on midwestsupplies.com:

With the kettle removed from the burner, add the malt extract (some kits contain liquid
(LME), dry (DME) or both). Make sure to stir the water so the malt extract does not scorch on the
bottom of your pot. When the extract is fully dissolved, return the kettle to the burner. As soon as
you see a boiling bubble, add 1 oz Chinook bittering hops and boil 60 minutes for optimal hop
utilization and bittering. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR POT UNATTENDED! Boil-overs are messy and
should be cleaned up immediately. After 15 minutes add ½ oz Cascade hops (45 min). Wait 15 more
minutes and add ½ oz Centennial hops (30 min). After 10 more minutes add the other ½ oz
Cascade hops (20 min.) Wait 10 minutes then add the other ½ oz Centennial hops (10 min). After 5
minutes add 1 oz Crystal (5 min) aroma hops for the last five minutes and remove the pot from the
burner.

I am really confused about how to interpret each time stamp next to the hop additions. Do they mean 60 minutes total for all of the hops with each of the additions and printed time stamps being added with that amount of time left in the boil (the numbers in the parentheses)?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #17
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Okay. Here's what you want to do.

Bring your malt extract and water to a boil. After the foam dies down (about 5 minutes) set a timer for 60 minutes (total boil time) and add your bittering hops (Chinook). When 15 minutes have passed, add the Cascade (this will be your 45 minute hop addition). After 15 more minutes, add the Centennial (this is your 30 minute hop addition).... so on and so on.

The numbers in parenthesis on the instruction sheet is the amount of time you will be boiling that particular hop addition.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
troegaarden
Recipes 

Great! Thank you!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Hit my legged Hop Head and it's pretty good. Think it will improve a bit more. Nice body and flavor though I'd like it hoppier myself. I'd brew it again. This was the all grain kit.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
troegaarden
Recipes 

Update: Brew Day was successful! The wort smells awesome, but I have one HUGE concern. I used a White Labs Cali Ale Yeast vial and poured it into the primary fermenter at around 530 last night. There are currently no signs of fermentation. Should I worry or should I expect the fermentation to initiate soon. I am definitely going to do a yeast starter next time of course, but I was wondering if the fermentation process should take a lot more time to start because of how heavy the wort is from all of that malt extract!

Quick Reply