Hop Head confusion and Hop scented urine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
Hi. I'm just looking for advice on my fermenting schedule.

Here is what I have in the primary right now:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/hop-head-double-ipa.html

I need to clear out my primary because I am brewing again this weekend and only have one primary bucket.

My plan was to leave it in the primary for 2 weeks (which is this weekend)- transfer to secondary for dry hopping for a week- and then bottle. Is that to soon for a big beer?

or

Should I let it ferment in a secondary without dry hopping for a couple more weeks? then transfer to another secondary for dry hop after that? I'm in no rush and I have two secondary's open.

or

Dry hop for a week and then transfer to the another secondary for a week to remove any hop particles?

Extra info: I'm using whole hops and I don't have a way to cold crash.

I can't stress how awesome this forum is :rockin: I've learned so much. My biggest problem is there is sooooo much info I get indecisive.

Also, this is off the subject but..... Has anyone's urine smelled like hops? I went to a Beerfest last weekend and drank every hoppy beer they had and came home and my urine smelled like hops! So much so the SWMBO walked by and said it smelled. :drunk:

Thanks!

Your OG would be helpful in trying to figure out how long it should remain in fermentation (I didn't see it on the recipe page, but from the ingredients, I'd guess somewhere in the mid 1.070s to low 1.080s?). That said, I'd give it one to two more weeks in primary, then rack to secondary and dry hop for one to two weeks.

As for the urine, if I've consumed that many large IPAs, I generally can't even taste hops, let alone smell them by then :).

I brewed this exact kit a few months ago, and I only have one or two bottles left. Shame since it was the best I've brewed so far.

I did 2 weeks in prim, 1 week in 2ndary dry hopping and it turned out great!

If I had to do it again I might leave it in primary a little longer, like an extra week then to 2ndary to dry hop. Just make sure you take a hydro reading a day or 2 before you transfer, and then again the day you transfer. You want it completely finished fermenting before you transfer.

I'll be brewing this again with a few minor changes very soon.

Hop smelling urine... never had that, and I've had my share of hoppy beers in a day :drunk:

Your OG would be helpful in trying to figure out how long it should remain in fermentation (I didn't see it on the recipe page, but from the ingredients, I'd guess somewhere in the mid 1.070s to low 1.080s?). That said, I'd give it one to two more weeks in primary, then rack to secondary and dry hop for one to two weeks.

As for the urine, if I've consumed that many large IPAs, I generally can't even taste hops, let alone smell them by then :).

OG was at 1.080

I guess my urine must smell pretty neutral... I have never been able to detect any hop aromas from it, but I don't usually pay close attention to it.

Nope never had hops smelling urine and I have drank some mighty strong hoppy beers. She should just be happy you didn't eat asparagus too!

Nope never had hops smelling urine and I have drank soe mighty stron hoppy beers. she should just be happy you didn't eat asparagus too!

Actually I'm guessing he did but was so wasted he thought the smell was from the hops:drunk:

Sure you didn't have some asparagus that night?Phew!!

no asparagus. It was about 100 degrees out and I was drinking nothing but beer for 4 hours. Maybe I sweat out everything but the hops? I'll have to send you guys some samples next time it happens....:cross:

wouldn't two weeks of dry hopping be to long? on other forums I've read that it can cause grassy off flavors. I don't really need the extra hop time since its already pretty hoppy.

Any other insight into my fermenting fiasco would be greatly appreciated.

My two cents on the fermentation schedule:
I'd advise leaving it in primary for a total of 3-4 weeks, to let the yeast really finish up their work, then transferring to secondary for however long you want. Dry hop for a 5days to a week at the end of secondary, and then bottle.

A lot of people don't even do secondaries, but I think it really helps when you're dry hopping and also when you've got a big beer. Good luck, however you do it will undoubtedly be delicious!

Better to have urine that smells like hops than hops that smell like urine! Yuck!

Oh wait, I think I have discovered the "secret" to BMC! :ban:

Also, this is off the subject but..... Has anyone's urine smelled like hops? I went to a Beerfest last weekend and drank every hoppy beer they had and came home and my urine smelled like hops! So much so the SWMBO walked by and said it smelled. :drunk:

Thanks!

Yes, happens to me quite alot after a few IPAs. Not every brand, and I can't recall which do and which don't, but quite a few render my wee wee quite floral in it's hoppy awesomeness.

It is now my lifes goal to have hop scented urine. I have the feeling I'm going to be sniffing alot of pee.

My two cents on the fermentation schedule:
I'd advise leaving it in primary for a total of 3-4 weeks, to let the yeast really finish up their work, then transferring to secondary for however long you want. Dry hop for a 5days to a week at the end of secondary, and then bottle.

A lot of people don't even do secondaries, but I think it really helps when you're dry hopping and also when you've got a big beer. Good luck, however you do it will undoubtedly be delicious!

Well, I would like to do that, but one of the reasons I'm indecisive is I'm brewing this weekend and need to free up my only primary.

Yes, happens to me quite alot after a few IPAs. Not every brand, and I can't recall which do and which don't, but quite a few render my wee wee quite floral in it's hoppy awesomeness.

Good to hear Revvy! I thought I was going crazy. ;)

It would be awesome if a commercial company would make a beer that makes urine smell like cascade hops, whole leaf.

if i'm dehydrated my pee can take on all kind of interesting odors. coffee, tuna, hops..anything with a powerful scent.

if you are venting IPeeA, you need to drink more water

I Leave the beer in the primary for four weeks and put the dry hops in the primary beginning of the fourth week.

To the OP, sorry to continue the hijacking of your thread......but,....

Hoppy pee?!.......hmm, I guess now I have ANOTHER goal in life!! ....

As for all the jokes: "IPeeA" has been covered. I'm sure there's a "Cascade o'PeeA" just begging to be brewed! or, how about "Gold-ings PeePeeA"??.......If you do choose to brew one of these masterpieces, just be cautious with your "adjuncts" and late "hop" additions!

Back