Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hop additions and boiling the wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 AM   #11
al83mc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

When you refer to extract are you talking about the liquid/dry malt extract that I will be using as the fermentable sugar? Or are you talking about the kit/can of beer? Or both?

Do I boil EVERYTHING that's going to be in my final product (excluding of course the yeast or anything that may be added in secondary)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
How does a 90 minute boil give you cleaner beer if you are doing an extract batch? I haven't heard that, just that 90 minutes is sometimes needed to help remove dms.
There is never any reason to do a 90 minute boil with extract beers. Extract doesn't need to boil at all, so do boil it for 90 minutes would be silly.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by al83mc View Post
When you refer to extract are you talking about the liquid/dry malt extract that I will be using as the fermentable sugar? Or are you talking about the kit/can of beer? Or both?

Do I boil EVERYTHING that's going to be in my final product (excluding of course the yeast or anything that may be added in secondary)?
Extract can be canned (liquid) or dry. But extract can often be added at the end of the boil, just to pasteurize it, so you might want to post a recipe if you want specific ingredients.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply