Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Honey Nut Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
simzy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Honey Nut Brown Ale

I'm brewing my second batch, and decided to go with a Brewer's Best English Nut Brown kit. I wanted to add a little something of my own to the recipe, and thought honey would be a nice fit for this beer.

3.3# amber LME
2# amber DME
8oz Crystal 60L
ABV to be between 4.0-5.0%

I'm thinking of adding 1.5 lbs honey to the wort durring the last 15 minutes of the boil. My goal is to 1) increase the ABV 1.5-2%, and 2) add a nice honey aroma and slight honey taste to the beer.

How much will 1.5 lbs of honey increase the ABV, and will adding the honey in the last 15 mins of the boil get me the aroma and flavor I'm looking for?

Also, shouldn't a nut brown recipe have some sort of toasted or chocolate malt? Which is more traditional, and how much should I add?

Thanks for all the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im doing a honey nut brown with honey malt this time instead of adding honey late in the boil. Ill keep you posted on how it turns out.

The honey wont add much for taste since it ferments out almost completely. It can add some nice aroma though.

And for the toasted or chocolate....sure add a bit of chocolate malt, and some biscuit or victory to it as well.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I feel a half pound of chocolate is necessary for a brown and the "nut" comes from biscuit/victory. If you can find it, 4 oz of honey malt will give you a good flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply