Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Honey malt, chocolate malt.... what's going on here?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default Honey malt, chocolate malt.... what's going on here?

I'm still new at this, but I'm enjoying it royally. I've made 2 chocolate stouts just to repeat the process right off and learn from it. Then, I made an IPA which I just bottled this morning. Up next is a barley wine, ingredients are in the mail (I'm in Germany and can't find a brewstore).

I've been researching and reading like crazy. I've been hearing about chocolate malts (which I've used) and honey malts, etc. What are these? I thought malt was wheat, barley, corn etc. germinated and starch converted. Are chocolate malts, chocolate seeds or whatever germinated and converted? Or is it barley somehow flavored like chocolate? Same with honey, vanilla and whatever else.

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Chocolate malt is barley malt that is dark roasted to give a deep color and almost chocolate flavor to your brew.

Honey malt is barley malt prepared such that many of the starches and sugars remain too complex to be fermented, even after mashing. The result is a sweet, honey-like character in your beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply