Okay so I have brewed with Mr. Beer before, but have recently bought an upgrade to a 5 gallon extract kit through Midwest Supplies. I also bought their ingredient kit which is for a Honey Hefeweizen. This is my first batch using my new 5 gallon kit.
After reading about different opinions on whether to rack to secondary or not, I decided I would not rack to a secondary unless I needed to add stuff for a second fermentation or what-have you.
I pitched White labs hefeweizen yeast #300 after vigorously stirring my yeast with a sanitized spoon while my wort was at 75 degrees F. I did not use a starter. The OG was about 1.068 (recipe predicted about 1.063)
It has been 15 days in the primary and my gravity reading Ireading was done yesterday) is at 1.030. That puts an abv of about 4.99 percent. Mind you the room temperature has been set at around 67-70 degrees F ( I can't get it much lower consistently, sso I figured consistent temperature would be better) Also note that when it was fermenting vigorously I was seeing temperatures of my batch itself at about 72-74 degrees.
It's not that this is not enough abv, but others who have done this recipe were getting results of 6.2-7.2 abv, and so I don't want to deviate too far from what others have reported as successful and tastey. This recipe called for a lot of honey, so I know that might be the cause for a slower fermentation, but I wasn't 100% sure.
My question is: Do I rack to a secondary at this point and let sit for another week or two to see if it gets lower? Can I keep it in the primary for another week or two (should I?) ? Is there anything I can do help my yeast out? I have read gently swirling the primary for a bit might help get them going, but I wanted some more advice. I will do another hydro reading in a few hours to see if it has gone down at all, but I wanted to wait to do anything drastic until after I had sought some advice.
Any tips are appreciated.