Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Honey for bottle prime?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
zadig39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Honey for bottle prime?

My second batch is in the carboy ready for bottling, and I was wondering if honey would work as a priming sugar. Its a Trappist single and I used brown sugar in the fermentation and the recipe calls for same for bottling.
Anyone tried it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Honey will work fine although you'll need a bit more than with corn sugar. Around 4.5-5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch should do the trick.

Tom

Old 01-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

honey will sweeten the brew more then brown sugar... Only about 70% of honey is fermentable, but its so dense it often packs more sugar into a smaller ammount, thats why it taste sweeter... I would adivse if your heart is set on it only useing about and ounce of honey and 3-4oz of sugar... Make your regular priming syrup with a small ammount of water, dissolve the honey in it and the sugar... you will get the taste and still have enough sugar to prime and not over sweeten your brew... i have used honey for priming once and it didnt work so well... You should let it sit longer then usal and be prepared for somthing you might not expect... not nessacrily bad, but not normal priming

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
surfbrewer
Recipes 

I've only done it once and had varying results. By varying I mean that early samples had a distinct honey flavor that was actually very pleasent. Later samples lost the honey flavor and the beer really dried out as the yeast really went to town on the honey, I also ended up with very over-carbonated bottles. I may have added to much although I don't recall how much that was now. That's just my experience with it and something that I wouldn't mind trying again sometime. I think if you get the ratio correct it can work very well.

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

According to John Palmer, honey is 95% fermentable which puts it right up there with corn sugar at 100%. Therefore it will make your beer slightly sweeter and will require theoretically 5% more for priming. Give it a go and see what happens, that's how new recipes are discovered.

Tom

Quick Reply