Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
RichN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Honey

I heard you can add 2lbs honeys to increase ABV w/o any taste T/F?
If True, when in the boil do you add it? Is just regualr honey ok?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

honey added to beer will increast the abv. it will also create a lighter bodied beer due to the highly fermentable sugars. adding honey will aslo add time to the fermentation process as it tends to produce off flavors which need time to dissipate. i would plan for a long primary and an even longer secondary fementation. honey in beer is best added in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. be sure to account for the volume change when you add the honey. i have made 40-50 gallons of mead using honey rom BJ's wholesale club. it is good, but if you can find local honey, you will be even happier with your results.

the beer to which i have added honey has, while taking longer to finish, been exceptional.

good luck

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
RichN
Recipes 

Thanx I was palnning to add to Pale ALe....

Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've made a few honey ales. 2lbs of regular honey is what I use.

Like Blackwaterbrewer says, it does take longer to ferment and clean up.

I have added it at the begining of the boil, and in the last 10 minutes. The later addition has a stronger honey flavor to it (not sweet like honey, but still has that honey flavor), but either works - it depends on what you want - either way will yeild a lighter, higher ABV beer, it just depends on how much honey flavor you want.

Give it a try, either way will work, and you will still end up with a drinkable beer.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You really want to add it at flameout or right into the fermenter after its been going a couple of days to maximize the actual honey flavor.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

My experience with honey has been somewhat different - it does take a little longer to ferment but what I have found is that the flavor imparted is minimal - it ferments out almost completely with very little or no lingering honey flavor remaining. If you want honey flavor in your beer use 4 to 8 ounces of honey malt in your brew. This will give you a very pronounced honey profile depending on the total grain bill used. When I add honey I do it at flame out (it is naturally bug resistant and you don't need to worry about boiling to sanitize) and it usually takes my brew down below 1.010 for a final gravity.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
FallsDamBrewery
Recipes 

I am brewing a honey wheat ale this weekend with 1 pound of pure clover honey in the recipe...if it is added to the boil, will I still be able to taste the flavor?

Primary 1 - Liberty Cream Ale
Primary 2- Air

Bottled: Dead Head Ale, Strawberry Blonde, Heritage Irish Stout, Honeybee Ale

On tap: Hoppy Poppy Imperial IPA

Falls Dam Brewery

Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
philhead1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know 3lbs of clover honey will greatly thin and change the taste of a cream ale, but with a lil age it is great.

fallsdam if you add it late in the brew or add slightly thinned to fermenter it will taste great. long boils will remove some aroma and taste but still keep the fermentable in.

WHY BEER DRINKER GO TO HEAVEN

He who drinks beer sleeps well
He who sleeps well does not sin
He who does not sin goes to heaven

Old 04-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I have a wild flower wheat in primary right now. Got the recipe out of the back of "Exterme Brewing" and the recipe came from Mike Gerhart of DogFish Head Brewery and I followed that recipe exactly as written which called for adding the honey with the DME right at the beginning of the boil so I'm thinking it doesn't really matter when you are adding it if all you are trying to do is raise ABV and not add flavor. I'm thinking the late addition might provide more of a honey flavor to the beer, but that's also just a guess as I'm pretty new to this myself.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf View Post
I have a wild flower wheat in primary right now. Got the recipe out of the back of "Exterme Brewing" and the recipe came from Mike Gerhart of DogFish Head Brewery and I followed that recipe exactly as written which called for adding the honey with the DME right at the beginning of the boil so I'm thinking it doesn't really matter when you are adding it if all you are trying to do is raise ABV and not add flavor. I'm thinking the late addition might provide more of a honey flavor to the beer, but that's also just a guess as I'm pretty new to this myself.
Actually I have plenty of experience making beers with either actual honey or honey malt in them. Adding honey to any point (unless you kill the yeast) will not impart a honey flavor; it will simply thin the beer due to the large amount of highly fermentables and boost the ABV%.

If you really want to add sweetness that many will perceive as honey tasting (I personally do), add as much as 1# of honey malt to your mash... but seriously, don't go over unless you like really sweet beer. I usually go with 0.75# in 5.5 gallons of my Honey Orange Hefe

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Quick Reply