Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Homemade primary fermentor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
scarfaceshim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Homemade primary fermentor

I am looking for a cheap and easy way to make a primary with pieces avalible at lowes, home dedpot, ect. I own a 6.5 gallon fermentor and currently want to expand from extract brewing to AG. Here are my questions

1. what size batches could I produce in a 5 gallon fermentor?
2. How would I make it?
3. Is it easy to size down AG recipes to fit this fermentor?

I will not be using this tank for all my brews since I do have a 6.5 gallon primary. I also know that there are nice fermentors out there to that are 6.5 gallons, but im in college and a cheap ass and brewing is expensive enough for me as it is. I would like to hear anyone's imput here on the idea. thanks!

"Survival is the doorway to the earth, Awareness it the doorway to the spirit"-Stalking Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
You are truly brave, using screw and bunghole in the same sentence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Get the 5 gallon bucket, and use it as a secondary after primary is done. You don't need much head space in the secondary.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can use the same fermenter you have now. Most AG recipes scale nicely and you should be able to use the same fermenter however you will need a mashtun of some sorts to mash with. Use a cheap or even older used cooler. Any will work great. That's how I started when 1st switched to AG. Look through the All Grain forums to get some ideas and go from there.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

6.5 gallon bucket, including a lid and an airlock is < $15.00 at most LHBS. Don't know your exact financial situation but not sure how much cheaper you could do it with Lowes/HD sourced parts.

nurture my pig

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just get a 7 gallon Aquatainer for about 13 bucks at any big box store and call it a day.

Tons of folks use the 5 gallon version for no chill brewing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
JHawKS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that looks fun to clean

Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawKS View Post
that looks fun to clean
It's called a hotwater and oxyclean soak followed by a rinse with a jet bottle rinser (or any hose)....No more difficult to clean than any other fermenter. And plenty of folks who no chill do it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
irockid86
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
6.5 gallon bucket, including a lid and an airlock is < $15.00 at most LHBS. Don't know your exact financial situation but not sure how much cheaper you could do it with Lowes/HD sourced parts.
personally I have a LHBS within 10 minutes of my house so I would have to agree with this.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
scarfaceshim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks everyone, but my LHBS while im at school is pretty pitiful because it is mostly a booze store with a little section dedicated to HB. I will probably end up waiting Till I get home to get one or get a 5 gal bucket and use it as the pri.mary

"Survival is the doorway to the earth, Awareness it the doorway to the spirit"-Stalking Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
You are truly brave, using screw and bunghole in the same sentence.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
that looks fun to clean
I actually have three fermentors very similar to these. Mine don't have the small air valve/hole, and both the handle and the screw top are recessed. I drilled a bunghole (<--best word ever) in the middle of the screw tops.

To clean, I put about two gallons of water, add oxyclean, then shake the bejeezus out of it. On brew day, I'll soak in starsan solution until I'm ready to use.

Easy, breezy!

The best part of them is the shape makes them easy to carry and stack. I can fit three of them in my pretty compact fermentation fridge with room to spare for yeast/hops/grain on the top shelf.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply