Homebrewing books...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edinoj

Reaction score
Any suggestions for good Homebrewing books. Just wanted some good info on homebrew set up, termanology, simple recipes, etc,.

Charlie Papazian's, "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 3rd edition" is amazing. Taught me how to brew single handed, with super easy and practical instructions. Check out some of the reviews on this sight.

"Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher is pretty sweet too once you get your feet wet.

I absolutely love How to Brew. Joy of Homebrewing is another classic as well. You can't go wrong with either- I still refer to Palmer's book all the time for different things. It's basically my bible of homebrewing. He has an old edition published online. If you're looking to try some recipes instead of starting with kits, I also highly recommend "Brewing Classic Styles", as would many others!

For the basics, Palmer's How to Brew can't be beat.

After that, Brewing Classing Styles.

Then, Designing Great Beers and Brew Like a Monk.

Those 4 will last you a good long while. From there, Radical Brewing and by that point you'll have been at it long enough to have an idea where to head.

Also, go to: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show and go to the end. There's a free podcast on every basic style of beer; download the one you want to brew (if you're brewing a Sierra Nevada clone, grab the episode about American Pale Ales) and listen to it. That whole site and http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio have lots of good free shows to listen to.

Finally, bookmark http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php and refer back to it. It won't mean much at first, but as you get into things it's an invaluable resource.

Someone suggested Home brewing for dummies and i liked it. It was written so a true noob could read it and understand the terms and lingo. So i started with that and then read Palmers book.

well ive read other dummies books and have never had a bad result. from what ive gotten from other ones i think they take their info from pros and simplify it for the average person so i dont doubt maxamuuses experience

Palmer's How to Brew (buy a hardcopy, it's way better. Plus you can have it next to your brewpot on brew day, which I wouldn't feel too comfortable doing with my laptop

There's a reason it's way above the Joy of Homebrewing and leaps & bounds above Brewing for Dummies in Amazon's sales rankings

I never got around to reading it, but one of the pro brewers in my BJCP class highly recommended Dave Millers Homebrewing Guide. He says it spells stuff out in much simpler terms than How To Brew.

Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers is also a good one, as well as Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles are great for recipes. When I first started, I thought I'd be cool and make every recipe myslef. Now I'm lazy and consult the recipe database here, or crack open BCS.

Although its geared toward taking the exam, the BJCP Study Guide has a lot of valuable information as well. Most of it is pretty high level. I'm paticularly fond of the "Troubleshooting" section. I think it does a much better job of describing off flavors and flaws than the online version of How To Brew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back