Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Homebrew 'Twang'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #21
joebou4860
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab
bummer. what method are you using now? partial grain/partial extract? I am using grains like a 'tea' in a cheescloth for the first bit of the boil, then removing and adding the extract.
Are you actually boiling the grains or just steeping? Boiling grains will extract tannins and could lead to the flavor you are describing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #22
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi - I'm leaving them in(grains) until 180 deg, not boiling as I mistakenly posted.

I bought some supplies at my LHBS and they guy(who is generally cool) was dead set against selling my DME. DME is too expensive, there's no difference, etc.

He said I should not have any weird aftertaste with LME and my beers should taste exactly the same as commercial micros they are supposed to emulate(better! he sez). He wants me to bring a bottle in, so I guess I will.

Although they do have the LME in these 50 gallon barrels which I am sure he is eager to keep moving and fresh.

Anyone think he is giving me bad advice?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #23
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab
Anyone think he is giving me bad advice?
Maybe not bad, but (IMO) not that good either.

There is a difference especially if the LME is not very fresh or wasn't handled well.

Take a listen to this: http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/mp3/bbr11-17-05.mp3

It is an interview with a guy from Briess. He describes the taste and explains what causes it. IIRC, it is oxidation that causes the flavor.

Last edited by Beerrific; 11-28-2007 at 04:07 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #24
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Isnt 180 a bit hot for steeping grains? I thought anything above 160 starts to extract the tannin out of the husks. Which would definitly give you a twang.

All of my homebrews so far have been LME and they all seem to carry over that same 'home brew taste'. It isnt unpleasent at all, just kind of a sweet note about mid pallet. Is this the ME twang? I would like to get rid of it but it doesnt bother me that much. AG is in my future for sure....

Quick Reply