Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Homebrew shop in NY city?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Homebrew shop in NY city?

I'm pretty desperate to find somewhere close to home to buy supplies, so I'll put this thread out, instead of PMing everyone from the NY/NJ area. I live in Staten Island, NY, and can't find a Hombrew shop close to home. I found a couple on Yellowbook.com that aren't open anymore, so a lot of good that does. I work in manhattan, so that would be good, and brooklyn and jersey would be some options too. Even if someone knows of an online store that's close to Ny and could deliver stuff in less than a week, that would be cool, too. Thanks for any help you guys could offer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
BubbaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The only place I've found is Corrado's in Clifton, NJ. Its not really that close, and their selection is hit and miss.

Kick The Can Brewery

Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buddy, I wish there was. There is nothing near here that I have found, and what is closest is CRAP!

I use AHS for pretty much everything.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was afraid of this type of reply. How is AHS with their shipping? Anything less than a week. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Williams, didn't get a confirmation email or shipping notification. I had to call for a shipping number, and so far, it hasn't been updated this week by fedex. I know it's coming across the country, but 7 days is a long time to wait. Actually, this is the longest I've waited for anything. I ordered a bunch of stuff from NB, and it took 5 days. I have a batch waiting to be bottled, and I don't have sanitizer. Berserker, what's around in brooklyn, at least just to go pick up something in an emergency? Know any brewers in SI, I'm dying to check out an all grain brew day, to see if I'm ready for the switch from extract. Thanks for your help, fellas.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
daveyiv
Recipes 

I used rebel brewer a lot, i get his stuff about 2 days later, so I figure it would be 3 or 4 to NYC I'm in morgantown, wv

Old 09-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker_Brew View Post
Buddy, I wish there was. There is nothing near here that I have found, and what is closest is CRAP!

I use AHS for pretty much everything.
This one?

http://www.brooklyn-homebrew.com/Brooklyn_Homebrew/Home.html

There is also this - http://brooklynbrewshop.com/

AHS, Midwest and Norther Brewer is where I order from. I ordered from NB on a Monday and got it on a Saturday thats the fastest I've gotten it with regular shipping. You should order a few kits at a time to save on shipping and with reputable online stores you will get the freshest ingredients since they have a high turnaround. It takes 4-5 business days since the package is shipped to get from Midwest region to Brooklyn.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Last edited by Pivzavod; 09-16-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
SmOfathaigh
Recipes 

I just order online nb,rebel,midwest I prefer flat rate its what i would spend driving somewhere to find a place, I have never bothered to look hard enough.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
fotomatt1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There really is not much in the NYC area. There are a couple of shops on Long Island, but none are that great. I've considered opening a shop myself, however in NYC and the surrounding areas, the rent is very high, and the margin on such items is relatively low, and the market is growing, but still small. It would be difficult to turn a profit in this area. Bummer. If I was more knowledgeable about homebrewing, I'd give it more thought, but I'm afraid I couldn't do it on my own.

If anybody in NYC or LI who is an experienced brewer would consider opening a shop with me, give a shout!!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The brooklynbrewshop doesn't seem like it's too good. Brooklyn homebrews website lists what they sell, which isn't that bad, in a pinch. Definitely nowhere near the amount of equipment, or ingredients as Northern, or williams. i've checked out rebels website, and it looks pretty good. NB took 5 days to get to me, which isn't bad. Guess us NYC guys are tied to ordering from the web. Thanks for the help guys. Anybody got an all grain brew day coming up? I'm looking to check it out and see if I'm willing to make the switch yet.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, too bad LeBron isn't a Homebrewer.... we could guarantee he'd never leave Cleveland for NYC! We have some nice LHBS's around these parts!

Quick Reply