Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > homebrew has ruined me for public drinking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #31
BrewerBrennan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If anything, I find my homebrew never matches up to the beers I really enjoy. Maybe its just me being extremely hard on myself, but I don't really know. I find myself focusing on the fact that it doesn't taste the same, rather than enjoying the flavors that are actually there. I guess we're all our own worst critic though.

Anybody else have the same feelings?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #32
Hulud
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBrennan View Post
If anything, I find my homebrew never matches up to the beers I really enjoy. Maybe its just me being extremely hard on myself, but I don't really know. I find myself focusing on the fact that it doesn't taste the same, rather than enjoying the flavors that are actually there. I guess we're all our own worst critic though.

i second this

i have had too many brews to count that others truely enjoy (or atleast thats what i hear) but i find soooooo many faults with. little things i want to tinker with but after hearing good things i am afraid to.

i have also had beers that i brewed that i despise but have gotten good reviews so it makes me want to make it again but i wont drink it haha

so i probably wont make it again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #33
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:

I'm a good brewer and make some really tasty beers - but I'm not going to pretend that I have the knowledge or equipment to brew better beer than my pro-brewer friends. I drink beers made by german trained brewers with years of professional brewing experience with automated systems that are spectacular. If they were brewing beers specifically tuned to my tastes they would be better than mine - I don't doubt that. The reason that many of us like our home brews better than many commercial beers is that we're making beer specifically for US.

For example, there are oats in nearly every beer I make. It's a preference thing. I like the mouthfeel that oats give to a beer - so I put it in. It's totally inappropriate for some styles - but it's my beer, so I can do what I want. A commercial brewery has a set list of beers that it's drinkers expect it to produce and a style and theme that it tends to work in - if you happen to line up with those styles then great - but that's luck. I can nearly gaurnatee that if I were to hand over a recipe that I love to make and had a pro brewer with full temp, water control etc as well as a lab for yeast analysis he or she could make it better than I can.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #34
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
There is a great craft brew scene in NYC.....508 GastroBrewery is a great Place, their head brewer is a great guy Also south of you in NJ we have an expanding craft brew scene (Carton Brewing and Kane Brewing are close to where I live), get out and try the Nano Breweries if you want cutting edge great beer. Consider it research
Carton is fantastic. They're growing into one of my favorite breweries. Have you been to the brewery? One of my favorite things they did there was they had beer from their "Tippy" which is their experimental beers. Since I went before their anniversary I got to have their anniversary ale while it was still very experimental (I think they changed what kind of hops they used)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #35
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:

It's not you being extremely hard on yourself. A great brewer has worked a long time perfecting their beer. If you brewed the same 5 or 6 beers for many years tens of hundreds of times, you would get awesome at making a great beer too. I'm very happy with my brewing results. But I know that if I brew a Fat Tire clone, it just won't quite be as good.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #36
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Yup.....I love carton, gotten my growler filled their a few times. I like how they seem willing to brew outside the box, for instance their Peanut butter and jelly beer (which was awesome).Brewer there seem really down to earth, and friendly. Auggie the owner is a great guy too!

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl
hoppyhoppyhippo Likes This 

Quick Reply