Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > homebrew has ruined me for public drinking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I'm betting it's all in your head. You like your beer and everything that you taste is being compared to that.
When I'm out and I have a beer, it's really more about the company and having a good time then the quality of the beer.
I do look for the best thing they have on tap and sometimes it's pretty damn good, but going out for a beer is more about having a good time than finding great beer.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I vote for all in your head. I've been drinking craft beers, and macro beers for 25+ Years and been brewing for several of them, and a well crafted beer, is a well crafted beer, regardless of whether it was made by you, a macrobrewy a craft brewery or the local brew pub. Granted even commercial beer can be infected, or suffer from dirty lines......But that's going to be the minority, rather than the majority.

I think what you're having is what's often called a "Pink Cloud" experience. This is all new, and everything homebrewing is bright and shiny, and your (excuse the metaphor) poop doesn't stink (or in this case your yeast farts ). And I think eventually the "high" will mellow, and things will be more "real." And you'll have a more down to earth perspective on things. This is common to anything...You've heard about it in religion I'm sure, or even quitting smoking....the new convert is often the most annoying, because they've gone from one extreme to the other, but eventually they'll swing back to the middle. You'll start to taste well crafted and excellent beers other than homebrew once again, and maybe even realize that some of yours and other people's homewbrew can often taste like crap too.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Most commercial beers taste "salty" compared to my homebrew. Maybe I have less minerals in my water.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster
Sierra Nevada isn't pasteurized (or rather, it's pasteurized then innoculated).
Please explain...

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivermore View Post
Now when I go bars even if I get a decent microbrew it will taste "chemically" to me.

Do these places put preservatives in, are the lines dirty, is it all in my head, or all of the above?
For me the key is finding a great beer bar, I mean I'll tolerate beer from anywhere but the best beer is from the bars that have a good cleaning system, and management and bartenders who care. If you can find a place that has one of those awesome things that shoot water into the beer glasses you're even better off.

As far as the difference between Craft and Micro there isn't a whole lot of a difference between the 2. Biggest difference if you're me is that you enjoy something you make more.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

This is interesting, because one of the things I really like about homebrewing is trying to replicate a beer I've tried out in public with one or two adjustments. Not all beers, of course; there are a lot I love "as-is" but then there are some I think I would really enjoy if one thing were changed.

Maybe when you're brewing for yourself you're adding that "something" that you like whether you're conscious of it or not. Probably wouldn't explain the chemical taste you mention - mostly just a thought on why you would like your beers so much better. I generally enjoy mine at home more than going out, but it all depends.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #17
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I like to think that because we, as homebrewers, are not really on a strictly controlled budget with the necessity of keeping costs down to the bare minimum in order to produce a certain product, A lot of us may tend to use higher ratios of malts to water than any commercial brewer generally does so, often, our brews are a bit richer and more flavourful by comparison.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
Please explain...
They pasteurize the beer, then they add yeast. Essentially, it goes back to being unpasteurized, but in a very controlled sense. It's similar to how wort is pasteurized and then you innoculate it.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
I like to think that because we, as homebrewers, are not really on a strictly controlled budget with the necessity of keeping costs down to the bare minimum in order to produce a certain product, A lot of us may tend to use higher ratios of malts to water than any commercial brewer generally does so, often, our brews are a bit richer and more flavourful by comparison.
Craft breweries don't worry too much about the cost side of things. They would be willing and able to use any grain bill we use and do it cheaper.
They also are able to have control units that give them consistency that we strive for.
Where applicable they can filter also which is something that most home brews don't get.

To be honest, I don't think BMC is overly concerned about the cost of the grain bill.
They pay a tiny fraction of what we pay for grain due to the volume they use. They also will charge based on what it costs.
If they had a recipe that would sell well but cost twice as much to make, they would make it and up the cost so that it was at least as profitable as their main beer lineup.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
apec+1
Recipes 

A friend and I have had the same experience of drinking a few bottles of home brew PA and then had one of my preferred store bought beers, we were both shocked at how bad the the flavour and chemical after taste we were experiencing, those beers got poured down the sink. I can only hope that with a fresh pallet I might be able to enjoy a bought beer again. It's not in your head but in your taste buds.

Quick Reply