Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Home malt toasting question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Beastman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Home malt toasting question

Hi all,

I'm planning on making a smoked porter tomorrow, and my recipe calls for 3.75 lbs of homemade amber, and 3.75 lbs of homemade brown, along with 2.5 lbs of dry extract.

so, i've read that in roasting the grains at home, it converts the sugars to a more complex one that the enzymes cannot break down. first question, is this true?

if so, if i toast ALL of my grains (half amber/half brown), will i only have complex sugars, aside from whats in the dry extract? is this a problem? should i leave some of my grain untoasted? if anyone has any experience with this, a breif explanation of whats going on is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think what you mean is that it carmelizes the sugars. Just roasting the grains alone will give you more color and I would think more complex sugars like you said. I think though, that if you wet the grains or soaked them and let them slightly convert you could roast them and get more sugar...

I think im talking out of my ass though. Look form LaughingGnomeInvisible's post on this.

Let the grains sit a week or two before you use them.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here is some good info. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but it should be enough to get you started.

Quick Reply