Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Home made primary fermentor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
benharper13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Home made primary fermentor

Can you get a food grade bucket from the store and just drill a hole in the top for an airlock? Also I know it says to to panic if you see no fermentation after 48 hours, but I didn't use liquid yeast and its been two and half days and I don't see anything going on I broke my hydrometer so I can't take a read until I get a new one hopefully soon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You keep asking your same question about your fermentation and your airlock everyday, and the answer is still the same...You really need to relax about this beer. Or get a hydrometer to confirm what's going on. You are giving yourself a heart attack stressing about it. This is what the fourth thread about it??? And it hasn't been 72 hours yet?

Just relax.......

And yes you can, and many of us do get food grade buckets and pop a hole, and get a rubber grommet for an airlock. People use all manner of stuff for fermenters.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Food grade buckets are usually 5 gallons and that is too small to ferment 5 gallons of beer. You need extra space to allow for krausen.

Does it look like anything happened inside the fermenter. Take a peek. I've had some beers ferment out completely in less that 48 hours. Rare...but it happens. If the inside of your fermenter looks like there was a monkey pooh throwing contest...you're golden.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
. If the inside of your fermenter looks like there was a monkey pooh throwing contest...you're golden.

Best answer ever!!!

Heading over to mem quotes now!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know I'm a newbie who gets to nervous, but I'm sure you look deep into your blury past you can remember your first brew and you probably had similar excitement and fear.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharper13 View Post
I know I'm a newbie who gets to nervous, but I'm sure you look deep into your blury past you can remember your first brew and you probably had similar excitement and fear.
Not really...I had read enough from folks on here and other places telling the other newbies not to worry, and everything would be fine, that since I saw 50 typical threads saying the samething for the same reasons, I figured my beer was NO different than there's.....That's kinda why I came here even before I ever participated I lurked, and read, and learned.

But that's how I am wired, I learn things and that calms me down. I look at other folks issues, realizes they are the same as mine, and relax. Then I try to help other people.

The problem is, you can cause more damage now by messing with the beer checking it than you can by just trusting the process.

There is a certain level of faith you have to have.

Yeasts just don't "NOT WORK" these days. That's an old idea from 30 years ago, not the reality these days. Given enough time the yeast does what it needs to do.

I am going to give you my standard rant about how, for the most part, the idea of "bad yeast" is really bogus....

Of god knows how many batches of beer I have made....I have never had fermentation not start, or a beer not turn out ok, and I have never ever ever had to add more yeast to a beer.

Except for infecting a starter due to poor sanitization, it really really is hard for yeast NOT to do what they do naturally.

That's how we can make a huge starter from the dregs of a bottle of beer...we let the viable (living) cells reproduce, and we feed them incrementally, and they continue to reproduce.

Seriously most LHBS know enough about what they are doing in terms of proper yeast storage, same with suppliers, it doesn't take a genius these days to know how to stick liquid (and dry yeasts usually) in a fridge, and ship in bulk in a styrofoam cooler.

We're talking billion dollar corporations (the yeast labs, and that's what they are LABS) and they aren't going to risk their rep by letting their suppliers and stores that carry their stuff , handle it improperly.

Besides...Yeast IS hardier than most newish brewers wanna give them props for...I mean You can't say that THIS YEAST was stored "properly" and yet, they managed to make a batch of beer with it.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-08/ff_primordial_yeast

If we can make beer with that....then our yeast is going to work as well.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well I understand people that have your personality but I am the opposite I live in Utah about an hour from one of two home brew stores in the state I didn't even know if was legal here. I bought and kit and did a trial by fire and sorry if I'm a pain in the ass but I thought this website was a good place for people who had questions

Old 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharper13 View Post
well I understand people that have your personality but I am the opposite I live in Utah about an hour from one of two home brew stores in the state I didn't even know if was legal here. I bought and kit and did a trial by fire and sorry if I'm a pain in the ass but I thought this website was a good place for people who had questions
dont take offense to what anyone says here. we are all here to help you. My recommendation to someone who has doubts and asks the same question in a different way is focus on RDWHAHB.

Honestly, this phrase embodies the homebrewer spirit.
Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew!

And lurk moar. You really should have determined if it was legal where you live first. You dont want to end up like this guy...

Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
trufleshufle13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it's the perfect place for people who have questions. just some people have been here for so long they go crazy seeing the same topics over and over. but all the new brewers worry about the same thing over and over. i did, and im sure 90% of the guys who started brewing and joined this site at the same time had a "help my beer is ruined" thread.

but you will learn just like every one else to relax, it will take a batch or 2 but you will. also to save your self from people who hate repeated topics, just make sure you google search every version of your question before asking. it has saved my ass probably 2-3 times per batch.

i am a very active user, you cant tell by my low number of posts. but i literally come on here at least twice a day and lurk around for a half hour or so. i've been doing that for so long that i went from not knowing that hops dont make alcohol to knowing..... a lot more. but my point is, lurk, lurk and lurk some more. you will eventually find what you are looking for, and if you don't, open a thread.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks I appreciate it. Hopefully home brewing will teach me some patience :-). It is fun and nerve racking. I just want to start another batch because I already realize I jumped in and there might have been some mistakes I made but I'll try and be patient before I go buy another primary and start a new brew.

Quick Reply