Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Home made beer kit questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
shanek17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Home made beer kit questions

Hello I am a fellow fermentationist and I am having a brewing dilemma. The other day I was in my cupboards and noticed that I had a box of granola bars and they expire this month, I looked at the ingredients and noticed Barley malt extract, also it contains whole grain rolled oats and other ingredients that made me think BEER! ( the granola bars are preservative and color free)

So heres my idea, I am going to make three 1 gallon batches and make each one slightly different and compare the results. I went to the LHBS and picked up some cascade sterling hop pellets (28g) and some Morgans ale yeast. I then went grocery shopping and found some Pure Fancy Molasses on sale. I don't know if this will be as good as DME or liquid malt but its worth a try.

Anyways my point here is that Iv only ever made beer the easiest way which is with those pre hopped extract kits therefore I have no idea how to use the hops! I mean iv seen the videos and heard the beer podcasts and understand you gotta toss the hop pellets in the boil, but how the heck will I do it? Im thinking boiling it in water or dry hopping? Also how much of the 28g should I be using per 1 gallon batch? Iv tried the crazy intense IPA's and I'm not a huge fan lol I am young and have a sensitive pallet still. so easy on the hop addition suggestions

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I've never malted my own grains. I dont know what they've been subjected to turning them into granola bars.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beer...ranola-334498/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/advi...ar-ale-310805/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/here...-stout-106156/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/fran...oughts-229090/

If you title your threads correctly, you get related topics showing up at the bottom of the page.

Good luck, I like to hear of people trying to not waste stuff.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

You are going to make beer from granola bars? I am a little intrigued, but how are you going to get enough malt?

What does a granola bar weigh? An ounce? If so, you would need 3.2 bars in a one gallon batch to be equivalent to only one pound of malt extract in a 5 gal batch. And that would be a pretty low gravity beer. And that is assuming the granola bar (specifically made for eating) has equivalent efficacy to malt extract (specifically made for brewing).

While I am all for experimentation, I think this is a fool's errand. At the same time, you aren't wasting any of my time, money, or food, so have at it. Maybe this will be the next big breakthrough in beer making. Make sure to report back if you actually do this.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

...and if 17 is your age, you've violated the house rules I believe.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
You are going to make beer from granola bars? I am a little intrigued, but how are you going to get enough malt?

What does a granola bar weigh? An ounce? If so, you would need 3.2 bars in a one gallon batch to be equivalent to only one pound of malt extract in a 5 gal batch. And that would be a pretty low gravity beer. And that is assuming the granola bar (specifically made for eating) has equivalent efficacy to malt extract (specifically made for brewing).

While I am all for experimentation, I think this is a fool's errand. At the same time, you aren't wasting any of my time, money, or food, so have at it. Maybe this will be the next big breakthrough in beer making. Make sure to report back if you actually do this.
Well i have like 30 granola bars to work with. Each bar contains 10 g of sugar and the rest of the sygar i was going to try the pure mollases and i also have dextrose and muscovado sugar (brown sugar) to play around with.

And to the dude who thinks im 17 lol. Im 24 i just use 17 as its a favorite number.

Also is anybody going to help me with the hops? I dont understand how to get the goodness out of them. do i just boil them for 10 or 15 min? Like i dont plan on doing a full boil as i dont have anything to boil but the hops.

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Well i have like 30 granola bars to work with. Each bar contains 10 g of sugar and the rest of the sygar i was going to try the pure mollases and i also have dextrose and muscovado sugar (brown sugar) to play around with.

And to the dude who thinks im 17 lol. Im 24 i just use 17 as its a favorite number.

Also is anybody going to help me with the hops? I dont understand how to get the goodness out of them. do i just boil them for 10 or 15 min? Like i dont plan on doing a full boil as i dont have anything to boil but the hops. i was going to just mix my ingridients together at room temperature and drop in the yeast. but i dont know if dropping the hop pellets in there will be enough flavor?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

Boiling for 30 to 90 minutes (very commonly 60 minutes) is for bittering. 10-20 minutes gives flavor. Five and under (including dry hopping) yields aroma.

Amounts totally depend on style. I brew an IPA that uses an ounce each at 60, 20, 0, and a dry hop (4 ounces total) but that is a 5 gal batch. That ends up with plenty of hops (it IS an IPA) but many brews use considerably more.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Boiling for 30 to 90 minutes (very commonly 60 minutes) is for bittering. 10-20 minutes gives flavor. Five and under (including dry hopping) yields aroma.

Amounts totally depend on style. I brew an IPA that uses an ounce each at 60, 20, 0, and a dry hop (4 ounces total) but that is a 5 gal batch. That ends up with plenty of hops (it IS an IPA) but many brews use considerably more.
Okay. iv been doin more reading and heard that you cant just boil the hops in water like i intended to do. apparently you have to have sugars present for the isomerization of the hops to occur. is this true? if so ill have to add some malt or mollases to the boil. and yea i decided you ppl were rite to mention malt as the best sugar for beer. ill be pickin some up tmmrw and ill be comparing it to the mollases and other sugars i try.

When should i add the malt into the boil? im worried that ill destroy its flavor if its in a boil for 60 min. or is that perfectly normal?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Go easy on molasses. Tastes great on its own but ferments out so a lot of the good flavor is gone.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2200 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 1648

I'd crush up the granola bars & steep them 30-45 minutes at 165F. They'll need time to soak the added sugars & flavors out of the grains added. Then add some extract & do your hop additions. Add remaining extract & some molassus near the end of the boil in this case.

Quick Reply