Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Home depot primary possibility?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
amandabab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

they are the same colored foodgrade buckets usplastics sells, just with a contract name on them. Its cheaper to have one production line, they just aren't labeled as such.

but they are 5 gallons, not big enough for a 5 gallon batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 453

Yeah, the only problem with the Home Depot bucket is the size. I've had one for years that I use for brining turkeys for holidays. I've also started using it as my sanitizer bucket.

I say go for it. Just adjust the recipes you use so they fit in the bucket with some head space.

Then when you upgrade to a 6.5 gallon Ale Pale or something like that, you can keep using the orange bucket for sanitizer or other food oriented applications.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I secondary in the Menards/Home Depot buckets because they have less headspace than an Ale Pail and there is far less Co2 in secondary. I've also used them as primaries for smaller batches

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

jail hooch is made in bags all the time. Honestly break down and just buy buckets that are food grade.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
RBRT
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

THANKs for all the Responses. I am going to to go for it. What the heck. You guys gave me enough confidence to try it. Also, everyone is RIGHT. The extra 10-15 bucks would of saved me TIME. There is NO way I am going to repeat this method, TOO many unnecessary steps.... duct taping a bag to a hose HAh, desperate for time???? Exactly. My Ingredient KIT comes TMRW which is THE T-CAN and BEARCAT WHEATEN BEAT DOWN from Northern-Brewer. I think that is an incredible name but I wanted a mild hopped beer so I could throw down a Partial MASH with 2LBS of CRYSTAL 60L to give the beer a CARAMELIZED backbone? THOUGHTS: OH and I am doing a yeast start!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Are you going to clean the bag after your done or just toss it? How much are the bags going to run you over the long haul?

I've used the lowes buckets a few times for small batches. You just need a grommet and a 1/4" drill for the lid. They sell 2 types of lids too. One with a rubber gasket, and one without. I use the one with the rubber gasket. The work great.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
RBRT
Recipes 

OH AND I AM GOING TO ADD A TIGHTENING BAND so hopefully the JAIL HOOCH wont touch the DUCT tape.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #18
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdh View Post
For future reference, Lowes sells 5gal food grade buckets. It's about $4 for the bucket and another $1.50 for the lid.
My local Home Depot sells a white food grade 5 gal bucket for the same price. It's made from the same white plastic as the "ale pail" at the LHBS, for a fraction of the price. Perfect for my 2.5 gallon batches.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
RBRT
Recipes 

For anyone curious, I was able to mature my methods of homebrewing and own three ale pails now. Though I will have to admit this method of bag brewing worked out great for my first batch.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
My local Home Depot sells a white food grade 5 gal bucket for the same price. It's made from the same white plastic as the "ale pail" at the LHBS, for a fraction of the price. Perfect for my 2.5 gallon batches.
i bought literally the only plain white bucket from my home depot. they had hundreds of the orange buckets, but just one plain one. it cost twice as much, but still less than $5

на здравје!

Quick Reply