Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Home brew taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
onerainmaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_stylebook.pdf

Now THAT is a link

Ithangewe
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I have experienced that taste in homebrew.

I think the ones I've tasted that screamed "homebrew taste" to me where made using cans of extract, especially John Bull and Cooper's. I think it's the canned extract that gives that "canned cooked extract homebrew" taste. Fermenting it above 65 degrees F makes it even worse, and more "twangy".

If you use grains, spray dried malt extract (dried extract called "DME"), hops, better quality yeast (NOT Munton's or Coopers), and good water, that "homebrew" taste goes away.
I know that taste, as it was very common years ago before the tremendous increase in ingredients that we now have was made available to home brewing. Only basic prehopped, canned malt extracts were available to me at the time.

Over the years I got to accept it as normal until I went to all grains using, as stated by Yooper, freshly crushed grains, roasts, properly balanced water and quality yeasts..

If temperatures are kept under control and recipes don't vary widely from the norms the beers I make today no longer have that green beer twang or the overly yeasty background that was common years ago. (BURP)

Thanks to all the homebrewers out there that provided the market demand for better ingredients. If it wasn't for all you homebrewers and your desire to make better beers I'd still be tin canning my way with stale roofing tar extracts.

bosco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerainmaker View Post
Thanks SC, I realise that I wasn't going to get perfection, but I probably also believed the hype about how wonderful the brew kit was (ther was a lot of talk around about how they've moved on and taste like beer ought to).

Defo next brew will be more manual, and hopefully I can have graduated on to something 'proper' by the time my own hops have been harvested.
kits have come a long way. once upon a time they were undrinkable, now they're quite decent... but still have that "homebrew taste".

moving on to partial-boil "self-made" kits will teach you a lot about brewing... prepare to enter the next level. site like www.brewmasterswarehouse.com and austinhomebrew.com let you buy ingredients by the ounce, so you can get only exactly what you want. even more online (and offline!) shops sell their own kits that they put together on demand, as opposed to the mr. beer/coopers/etc kits that could have been assembled a year ago and have been sitting on hot shelves ever since.

you'll definitely be there by the time your hops are harvested (which i'm assuming is either next year, or at best in 6 months if you're in the southern hemisphere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagee View Post
I'm not a style expert, but to me the difference is a focus on american hops and slightly less malty/carmel flavors. It's probably best to go with the actual style descriptions. To me however, there isn't all that much difference.

APA - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php#1a
IPA - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php
indeed. the way i look at it is that they are a continuum, with less hoppy = APA and more hoppy = IPA. the cutoff between the two is quite arbitrary. is it a hoppy APA or a low-intensity IPA? who cares, as long as it's good beer

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have been brewing for a couple years now. The biggest factors that have played a roll in off flavors in any of my brews were 1) Crappy chlorinated tap water, producing some plastic astringency like bandaids. 2) warmer than suggested fermentation temps, making some pretty wild astringent ester's and phenol's. 3) Green beer, young beer has got a funk about it, unless its a Hefe.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #25
elpenoso
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take care of your yeast (temp, pitch amount, viability) and sanitation.

Quick Reply