Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Holy sediment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Buckwheat Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Holy sediment

So I bottled up my oatmeal stout extract kit that I got from Midwest. It was in the fermenter for 28 days and used Safale 04 yeast. There was a ton of loss from trub in the fermenter and in my bottling bucket. So now the sediment in the bottles is around a 1/4 in thick and in a few almost 1/2 thick. Is that normal? Will it pack down? When I bottled my red ale I had just a slight dusting of sediment at the bottom, but I also did a secondary with that one. So the end result 39 12oz bottles and 1 champagne bottle full. Seems like alot of loss being with the red ale I did I had almost 50 12oz bottles.

Buckwheat Brewing Co.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

Did you let the beer have time to settle out clear ot just slighly hazy? Do you have a spigot on your promary? I never got those big thick trub piles on the bottom myself. Did you have loose hop particles in there too?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow.. Were you reckless when racking into the bottling bucket, or was all that just still suspended in the solution?

On Deck: Chav Irish Red
Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

Old 12-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Yeah it sounds like you had your racking cane right on the bottom of the bottling bucket, but then again that would have probably only impacted a few bottles initially. Perhaps the beer didn't have time to settle after racking from the fermenter to the bottling bucket?

Once I started using one of the clips to hold the siphon to the side of the bucket when racking over to the bottling bucket I saw a big difference in the amount of trub at the bottom of the bucket after bottling. Very minimal amount in the bottles as well. Of course a little bit in the bottom of the bottles is always a good thing!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Buckwheat Brewing
Recipes 

I kept it off the bottom and left quite a bit in the bucket so that I wasn't racking all that into the bottling bucket. Even the bottling bucket had a lot in the bottom so I left beer in there so that it would not transfer to the bottles. I have a clip so that it stays off the bottom and my bottling bucket has a spigot and ran the beer thru there when I bottled. And I let it sit for about an hour after I transferred to the bottling bucket. I also strained out the hops when it went in the fermentor and used a whirfloc tablet .The beer tasted good and smelled good so I guess I went right sonewhere

Buckwheat Brewing Co.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 57

If I see that kind of sediment in my fermenter I will rack to a brite tank. It usually means I had trouble getting it cleanly out of the kettle. I had one beer I racked twice. It is very easy to rack beer from one carboy to another using CO2 and never expose it to air/O2.

This is a routine practice in my wine making so I have a good system and it makes for a very clear product.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
If I see that kind of sediment in my fermenter I will rack to a brite tank. It usually means I had trouble getting it cleanly out of the kettle. I had one beer I racked twice. It is very easy to rack beer from one carboy to another using CO2 and never expose it to air/O2.

This is a routine practice in my wine making so I have a good system and it makes for a very clear product.
Care to share your system?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

Idk,it sounds like it had to have been cloudy when you racked it to gt that much trub in the bottling bucket,then the bottles?...

Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Buckwheat Brewing
Recipes 

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess ill try a secondary on my next stout and see if that makes a difference

Buckwheat Brewing Co.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
Care to share your system?
I purge the receiving carboy with CO2 until a lighter extinguishes at the lip...slow flow, takes about 5 min.

On the sending carboy I place an orange carboy cap with a racking cane in one port and my CO2 connected to the other....then I use the CO2 to push to beer into the receiving carboy...beer is always under CO2 and I can rack as often as I need/want to without fears of oxidation.

If you are a proponent of do-it-all-in-the-primary, you can skip all this

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply