Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Holy Krausen, Bat Man!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
jaymack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Holy Krausen, Bat Man!

Wow, less than 24 hours later and it's Krausen central burstin' open my Primary Bucket.
I was fortunate to check it first thing this morning (pitched Yeast at 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon) and the lid had actually popped up at one point.
I removed the airlock (what's the point at this stage, right) and aloud a long siiiigh of relief i.e. more lovely foam. I also resealed the lid.

Besides getting the mess cleaned up, will I be safe enough to leave the airlock off for the time being, allowing the krausen to be released, without a high risk of infection?

This is by far the most action I've ever seen from a brew, and hoping it turns out.

Time to go glass from now one...

Cheers,
J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
kevy_kev
Recipes 

I cant imagine it being a good idea to leave the airlock off. Can you siphon some of the beer out to give more room

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Old 03-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Someone needs to sell a bucked lid with two different grommeted holes: one that's airlock size, and one larger one for a blowoff tube. You just shove a stopper in the one you're not using.

What is your batch size? Your bucket probably holds about 6.5 gallons...that'd be a pretty vigorous ferment from a 5 gallon batch.

And I agree: you're probably OK having the airlock off if it's really pumping out the CO2 and kreusen, but you'd want it back on there ASAP. That's why the blowoff hose works better for this situation: you still have liquid in the blowoff jar serving as an airlock.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Last edited by cweston; 03-06-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Someone needs to sell a bucked lid with two different grommeted holes: one that's airlock size, and one larger one for a blowoff tube. You just shove a stopper in the one you're not using.

The grommets in bucket lids can usually be removed. After that, a larger diameter tuble can be inserted for a blow-off tube. Fits nice and snug and works great. My tubing isn't marked or I would post the exact size needed.

After the pressure dies down, the grommet and an air lock can be put back in place.

Joe

Old 03-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Heh, At least yours just made a little Mess..I made an IPA 2 weeks ago the yeast was packaged Wed, I made the starter friday (fresh yeast FTW) Pitched it around 2PM saturday and about midnight (with a blowoff tube) there was a loud pop in the house.. The lid was in the middle of the room, and there was foam all over the ceiling and walls.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston

What is your batch size? Your bucket probably holds about 6.5 gallons...that'd be a pretty vigorous ferment from a 5 gallon batch.

And I agree: you're probably OK having the airlock off if it's really pumping out the CO2 and kreusen, but you'd want it back on there ASAP. That's why the blowoff hose works better for this situation: you still have liquid in the blowoff jar serving as an airlock.
You can always just figure out the proper size of some tubing that will fit in your airlock hole - that's what I do. I believe it is 3/8 OD, but I'm just pulling that out of my ass.

I always put a blow off tube whenever I think I beer has a possibility of having a very vigorous ferment, e.g. all higher gravity beers, those done with a starter, pitched on previous krausen, or wheat beers.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

You're fine with the airlock out. People tend to forget that you aren't ever fermenting in lab conditions. You're never sterile. You're just trying to outcompete other organisms with desirable ones. You're doing that very successfully

Just replace it when the ferment dies down...shouldn't take long from the sounds of it.

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbo
Heh, At least yours just made a little Mess..I made an IPA 2 weeks ago the yeast was packaged Wed, I made the starter friday (fresh yeast FTW) Pitched it around 2PM saturday and about midnight (with a blowoff tube) there was a loud pop in the house.. The lid was in the middle of the room, and there was foam all over the ceiling and walls.
Another member of the Mop The Ceiling club.........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
jaymack
Recipes 

As always, thanks for the opinions.

I have just never seen SO much action

Also used me homemead wort chiller for the first time. 18 minutes and I was at 78degress.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With the water the way it is right now, I get down to 60f in 15 minutes with my IC.

Quick Reply