Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Holiday Spiced Apple or Pumpkin Ale Suggestions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Holiday Spiced Apple or Pumpkin Ale Suggestions

I just started brewing and actually just racked my first ever brew to secondary today It's a Kolsch and it already tastes good and my ending gravity is perfecto! 1.012.

My wife and family are very cinical about homebrews and my newfound hobby. It is my plan to suprise my family around the holiday time with an impressive and very palatable, to those who aren't true beer lovers, holiday brew.

Most of the recipes I come across are darker amber style ales with higher alcholol contents. I am looking to brew something lighter. I was thinking about a honey ale, and adding # chopped apples to the boil, removing them and racking to primary. I was then planning on adding whole nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon sticks in addition to a gallon of cider to secondary.

Do you think this is a good plan?

Does anybody have any great recipes along these lines that I could try?

almost forgot, I am an extract brewer.

__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 4,079
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I can tell you that apples in the boil (especially just 1lb.) will do just about nothing for the beer. Apple is a very delicate flavor that will pretty much disappear in your boil. Otherwise, sounds interesting.

__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...
Suthrncomfrt1884 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
rsmith179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 973
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

You could always add apple juice to the batch....

__________________

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

rsmith179 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default

I made a typo, I was going to add 5# apples to the boil, likely a tart yellow/gold apple. If this is an exercise in futility I am wondering what would be a good way to impart the flavor/bitterness/aromo of fresh apples to the finished product?

Maybe get my hands on a bunch of small crabapples, tis the season!

rsmith179, I plan on adding 1 gallon unpastuerized cider to the secondary fermenter, in additon to 4 gallons of the fully fermented beer.

__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scrambledegg81's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SLO-town, CA
Posts: 1,861
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

I've got this bad boy in the works for my Christmas ventures-basically a clone of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale (which I love to no end...):

Barley Dog Brewery - Brews - Recipe - Christmas Tree Ale - All Grain

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
It's yeast ejaculate. Just try not to get it on your face.
Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely
scrambledegg81 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledegg81 View Post
I've got this bad boy in the works for my Christmas ventures-basically a clone of Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale (which I love to no end...):

Barley Dog Brewery - Brews - Recipe - Christmas Tree Ale - All Grain
Do you know of a utility to convert this recipe to extract? IPA's are nice..holy hops! I am a big fan of Magic Hat #9, not an IPA, but it is lighly apricot. I always wondered if adding some apricot to the secondary of an IPA would be a tasty idea.
__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
ZombieBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I wonder how baking or caramelizing the apples would change the flavor of the beer?

__________________
ZombieBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 4,079
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Do you know of a utility to convert this recipe to extract? IPA's are nice..holy hops! I am a big fan of Magic Hat #9, not an IPA, but it is lighly apricot. I always wondered if adding some apricot to the secondary of an IPA would be a tasty idea.
Here's a great article to read on converting all-grain to extract. All Grain to Extract Conversion | Brew Dudes
__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...
Suthrncomfrt1884 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LarryC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 742
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Here's a recipe I am looking at brewing for the holidays - it has your apples plus

Extract Homebrew Recipe by Jon Griffin
Makes 5 Gallons
Skill Level - Intermediate
A spicy, fruity moderate strength English Style Xmas Ale. This is based on an English bitter base and is a fairly easy homebrew recipe, although it does take a little bit of experience. I would advise not increasing the spice amounts. People that have tried that have found the flavor to be to overbearing. You can also change the fruit additions. I have used mango and peach in the secondary with no apple, and it is also wonderful.
• 6.6 lbs Coopers Light Malt Syrup
• 1 lb Crystal/Caramel 80
• 4 oz Roasted Barley
• 2 oz Cascade (boil 60 minutes)
• 1 oz Cascade (boil 20 minutes)
• 1 oz Willamette (boil 0 minutes, when you turn off the flame )
• 1 Cinnamon stick (boil 10 minutes)
• .25 oz Coriander seed (boil 20 minutes)
• .25 oz Coriander seed (boil 5 minutes)
• 1 oz Sweet Orange Peel (boild 10 minutes)
• 2 lbs Honey (boil 60 minutes)
• 2 lbs Crushed tart apples (in the primary fermenter)
• 3 lbs Crushed Peaches (in the secondary, this keeps the aroma)
• White Labs London Ale Yeast or Equivelant
Original Gravity 1.062
Final Gravity 1.017
Alcohol By Vol is > 5.9% (it is difficult to calculate due to fruit additions)
Instructions*
Freeze the fruit first or use the winemakers trick of spraying with sulfite to kill wild yeast and bacteria.

__________________
LarryC is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Here's a recipe I am looking at brewing for the holidays - it has your apples plus

Extract Homebrew Recipe by Jon Griffin
Makes 5 Gallons
Skill Level - Intermediate
A spicy, fruity moderate strength English Style Xmas Ale. This is based on an English bitter base and is a fairly easy homebrew recipe, although it does take a little bit of experience. I would advise not increasing the spice amounts. People that have tried that have found the flavor to be to overbearing. You can also change the fruit additions. I have used mango and peach in the secondary with no apple, and it is also wonderful.
• 6.6 lbs Coopers Light Malt Syrup
• 1 lb Crystal/Caramel 80
• 4 oz Roasted Barley
• 2 oz Cascade (boil 60 minutes)
• 1 oz Cascade (boil 20 minutes)
• 1 oz Willamette (boil 0 minutes, when you turn off the flame )
• 1 Cinnamon stick (boil 10 minutes)
• .25 oz Coriander seed (boil 20 minutes)
• .25 oz Coriander seed (boil 5 minutes)
• 1 oz Sweet Orange Peel (boild 10 minutes)
• 2 lbs Honey (boil 60 minutes)
• 2 lbs Crushed tart apples (in the primary fermenter)
• 3 lbs Crushed Peaches (in the secondary, this keeps the aroma)
• White Labs London Ale Yeast or Equivelant
Original Gravity 1.062
Final Gravity 1.017
Alcohol By Vol is > 5.9% (it is difficult to calculate due to fruit additions)
Instructions*
Freeze the fruit first or use the winemakers trick of spraying with sulfite to kill wild yeast and bacteria.

I came across this recipe online as well. It was by far the most interesting that I have came across. I am not sure I want someting with this much body and bitterness, for the rest of my family. For my own personal consumption, hoppy is great!

I brewed and racked a belgium amber ale tonight, and I as I was adding the Saaz hops for aroma they smelled so dang good I thought I should just hang a sack of them from my rear view mirror for an air freshener!
__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Holiday Spiced Ale The Pol Specialty Beer 39 11-13-2010 08:27 PM
Holiday Spiced Ale - Recipe Ideas TwoHeadsBrewing Recipes/Ingredients 5 07-30-2010 05:38 PM
It's that time of year-- Recommendations for winter seasonal/holiday/spiced etc. freshyill Commercial Brew Discussion 4 11-06-2009 07:03 AM
Spiced Holiday ale with Apples beilber All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 09-18-2009 01:37 PM
Holiday spiced amber ale mrfocus Extract Brewing 6 10-16-2007 09:18 PM