The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Holiday Beer with issues - suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
antoniamatthews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Holiday Beer with issues - suggestions?

I brewed what is supposed to be a Holiday Red almost a month ago. The recipe (it was my first all-grain batch) was based on Northern Brewer's Brickwarmer Red, but I changed the grain bill to accommodate for what I could get my hands on (still nice, malty character). The recipe uses 1oz. of sweet orange peel at flameout.

So, 2 weeks into fermentation - all was looking good. Tested it and thought it didn't have enough character (orange wasn't present), decided to add more orange peel - racked the beer into secondary on top of the peels of 3 oranges and a cinnamon stick. Took it off the peels last weekend and now, it's really bitter. But there's still no real orange taste (aroma is there from sitting on the peels for a week though) - just tons of bitter. I was careful about leaving the white portion of the peel out too...

It's still sitting in the fermenter and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. It's beer, but it's not at all what I was going for - and I'm a little hesitant to let anyone else drink it - it's the worst beer I've made to-date. Could I salvage it by adding spices to overcome the bitterness (some traditional holiday beer type spices)? Any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Odds are if you were to lager this for a few months the bitterness would drop down some.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Begin2Brew Likes This 
Old 10-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
Odds are if you were to lager this for a few months the bitterness would drop down some.
There ya go!

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 10-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
Yeah, but then you are drinking a cinnamon orange beer after the holidays. By then everyone is ready to move on from pumpkin, fruit and spices.

JK: You might just have to let this sit awhile and meld. Perhaps a Valentine's Red is just what the doctor ordered.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
antoniamatthews
Recipes 

Hmm. So no one advises more cinnamon, spice, something else in an attempt to have it ready for the holiday season?

Quick Reply