New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > HMMM something I seem to have over looked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default HMMM something I seem to have over looked

I use just a clear plastic hose to rack wine from one carboy to another or into the bottle......Never gave a thought to a racking cane but I can see that with 5 gallons of beer it would definitely be beneficial...... I like to fiddle with making stuff so does anyone use a cane made from pvc? I think you could just stick it together due to there being no pressure, and pull it back apart to clean and sanitize it. I am sure there are connectors to attach it to the auto siphon or hose.....does a cane have a filter though?

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
JLem
naturally selected
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

some may, but most don't. At least mine doesn't. It has a little plastic cap at the end that keeps the opening above the trub to keep all that sediment from being racked with the beer.

http://mountainhomebrew.com/browseproducts/Racking-Cane-Replacement-Tip-3-8-.html

Last edited by JLem; 10-16-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Really, unless you have access to smaller diameter (1/4"?) pvc, the cane will be so big it will suck up a lot of trube. I used a straight one for a couple of years. Then, I got one that had a 90 on it and I was hooked, so to speak. I'm sure you can build a really nice one, but for a couple of bucks, I don't think it's worth it. Also, as soon as I get back to brewing, I'm going to bend one out of stainless. Luck - Dwain

Quick Reply