Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hmmm, this is different.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
MikeWI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hmmm, this is different.

I went to check the gravity on my second batch after a week and a half and there was a lot of krausen floating on the top of the beer. Does this mean that it's still fermenting? My first batch finished in under a week but ithis one has a higher OG than than the first (1.059 vs 1.050) so that means it will take a little longer, right? Thanks.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Was it the same type of yeast... even with the same yeast however every fermentation is differant. I would at least wait till the krausen drops out before taking a reading. Let the yeasties do there thing

Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Fermenting beer is like fingerprints almost, every one is a little bit different due to a number of factors (temp, mash type, hops, water, phase of the moon)...

Likely nothing to worry about, you can just punch a hole for your sampler/hydro reading whenever and check how it's getting on. It'll sink down when it really starts to clear.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The higher the gravity it takes about the same time to ferment about 2 weeks. But the higher the gravity you may have to age the brew to smooth it out. High gravity brew will be a little harsh due to alcohol content.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Temperature, aeration, pitch rate, yeast strain can all affect the rate and time it takes for the yeast to consume the sugar in beer.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I have used bottle harvested hoegaarden yeast that had had a krausen on it for upwards of 3 weeks, where even the gravity reading showed that the beer was finished.

If your hydro readings do show that your beer is finished, carefully racking the beer to your bottling bucket, and letting the krausen float down to the trub is usually all you need to do, it won't transfer across, instead it usually will just get stuck in the trub. Heck half the time just lifting the bucket up to your table to rack will knock the krausen loose.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The ONLY way to know is to take a hydrometer reading a couple of days apart.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
whis121surfing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You may have a little renewed activity if your temp might have fluctuated down then back up. Be sure you don't have too much temp variance from day to night to day, etc. The good news is that your yeast is doing it's job! Let it be and they will drop out when done.

Quick Reply