Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > highly carbonated bottled beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
sdufford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default highly carbonated bottled beer

Do you guys ever find yourselves "double pouring" a bottled beer that's super carbonated? I've found that I enjoy the taste of relatively lightly carbed beer, and I've had a number of home brews turn out too carbonated. I've found that after the initial pour, if I just grab another glass, pour the beer again into that, the beer tastes so much better. The true flavor of the beer really shines through.

I'm thinking I need to back down a bit from 4.5 oz bottling sugar.

Just curious if any of you guys have ever done that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdufford View Post
Do you guys ever find yourselves "double pouring" a bottled beer that's super carbonated? I've found that I enjoy the taste of relatively lightly carbed beer, and I've had a number of home brews turn out too carbonated. I've found that after the initial pour, if I just grab another glass, pour the beer again into that, the beer tastes so much better. The true flavor of the beer really shines through.

I'm thinking I need to back down a bit from 4.5 oz bottling sugar.

Just curious if any of you guys have ever done that.
You really don’t want to use 4.5 oz for every beer. All beer/styles require different amounts of sugar to prime properly. Use one of the charts to determine the proper amount for your style next time. And IMO when I don’t bother with the charts and wing it stick with 4oz. Here is one chart but you can find many more. Good luck!

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

shat happens

Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had this happen to an IPA and I have found that a long chill in th fridge reduces the head a great deal.

Secondly, I have been working at getting my carbonation right for each beer I brew. I use this calculator that works really well.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 04-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
csiewert
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm lazy and I generally go with 3.5-4 oz every time... it's a good average.

On deck:

Old 04-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
cox8611
Recipes 

I have been having the same issues for the last 6-9 months. most all my brews are overcarbed, and had two bottles burst on me. Most of the time i'm using 3 oz of Corn sugar... i'm scratching my head most of the time... and pouring into a huge quart glass to keep from pouring over the sink everytime.

Primary: Black Storm Ryesing (CPA),
Bottled: Tri-fecta Tripel (8/2010), Aficiando Smoked Bourbon Brown, MurphRYE's Pale Ale
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Winter Wheat
R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Probably an under-attenuation problem more than over priming one in the usual sense.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
cox8611
Recipes 

good point, the ones that burst finished at 1.034 and wouldn't budge even with adding more yeast and rousing the yeast... thought it was initially a mash thermometer calibration issue... now not so sure.

Thanks

Bottled: Tri-fecta Tripel (8/2010), Aficiando Smoked Bourbon Brown, MurphRYE's Pale Ale
R.I.P: Dr. Suess's "Green Hops and Rye" Pale Ale Murphy's Law IPA, Honey-do Hefe 2.0, Power of Pine-Sol, Rob's Brown Ale, Wolfpacker's Wheaties II
Project(s) Completed: Cooler Mash Tun (dual-braid), Kegerator, Keggle Conversion, 50' Immersion Chiller.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox8611 View Post
good point, the ones that burst finished at 1.034 and wouldn't budge even with adding more yeast and rousing the yeast... thought it was initially a mash thermometer calibration issue... now not so sure.

Thanks
How much yeast are you using in these beers? Could you be under pitching?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
cox8611
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
How much yeast are you using in these beers? Could you be under pitching?
HA, if anything i'm overpitching... the yeast from the bursted beer was pure slurry from a local brewery, and most of my beers are given somewhere between a 1.5-2.5L starter.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox8611 View Post
HA, if anything i'm overpitching... the yeast from the bursted beer was pure slurry from a local brewery, and most of my beers are given somewhere between a 1.5-2.5L starter.
Hmmm...makes wonder about the actual live cell count of that slurry? Not to mention,temps for that yeast,& how much ABV it can tolerate before giving up.?

Quick Reply