Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Higher gravity than expected

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanta View Post
I would guess my fg will finish pretty high, so will this complicate bottling? Specifically bottle carbonation, or will i even need to use another yeast to finish primary fermentation?
If a beer is done, it is done, and it doesn't really matter what the FG of the beer is. My OG 1.170 5 year aging barelywine for my 50th birthday in a couple more years finished at 1.040 and that was with two different yeasts, a ton of oxygen, and lots of nutrients.

The beer ain't going any lower. And at 17.3 % abv, it doesn't really need to. So I'm not worried about it being high, because it's finished. That's what you need to make sure, not what the FG of something is, but if it is truly finished or not.

What you will need to consider, depending on the abv and how long you're aging it, if you will need to add fresh yeast to it at bottling time to insure carbonation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
kanta
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was assuming a hair over 10% abv and I would like to be able to hand these out for the holidays, although since its such a big beer, i think it may be more appropriate to give them out for thanksgiving 2013 and just let it age for all that time. Plenty of time for the spices to meld and mellow (3 sticks of cinnamon are sitting in there). Thanks for the perspective, Revvy. I will probably have to use a second yeast at bottling too

Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
kanta
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I forgot all about this beer sitting in my fermentation freezer at 65 degrees for the last couple of months. I am guessing it's time to take the beer out of primary by now, and since I am not adding anything to it (dry hopping/fruit) I assume I can just bottle now and let it age for however long...although I am kind of worried about whether the yeast will be up to the task. I plan to get a FG reading on Thursday so I can estimate ABV and then bottle, but do I need to dump in some additional WLP002 or even a different, more alcohol tolerant yeast to be able to prime those bottles, or should some of the original yeast be able to be roused by the priming sugar?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
kanta
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racked the beer to a carboy today to get it off of the cinnamon sticks that have been sitting in there for the last 2 months, plus I guess 2 months is plenty of time sitting on the yeast cake, although I'm sure a couple more months wouldn't have hurt. FG was 1.021 and it tasted awesome, albeit a little more sweet/malty than I thought it would be and the cinnamon is pretty strong, but that should fade over the aging period. I'll give it however long in the carboy (basically until I need the carboy for something) and let it age out. Hopefully the timing will be right to crack into this batch between Thanksgiving and Christmas of next year

Quick Reply