Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > High steeping temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
dropjaw83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High steeping temp

Brewed a batch of Dunkelweizen today. While steeping the chocolate & malt, the temp got above 170 for about 3 minutes. It went up to 180 when I walked away for a few minutes and I immediately cooled it back down to 160/165ish. I know it says it will release Tannins if it gets above 170, so what can I expect in 'off flavors' or flawed beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
gandalfiii
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Tannins are bitter, mouth puckering. Hopefully that short amount of time won't have too much effect.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

The "too high will leach tannins" idea is really an oversimplification that a lot of noobs worry about, and repeat incessantly without truly understanding.

You only produce tannins in a VERY LIMITED situation, the right combination of ph and temp...NOT anything you might have come to erronously believed which has been proving wrong...you can't get them from squeezing the grains (UNLESS they were present due to the above mentioned scenario) and you can't get them from boiling grains, or having the temps simply go over 170.

I give a fairly in depth overview of the whole "tannis" boogey man here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 284 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Basically, high ph plus high temps = tannin extraction. You've got high temps for short period, so lets look at ph. Chocolate malt lowers PH substantially. Unless you had a high volume of naturally high carbonate water, you probably stayed well within the "safe" range.

Quick Reply